M-1 Carbine help/suggestions.

carbine30

Universal m-1 carbine. Saw a used one in good condition for $369. Is this too much? They seemed firm on the price. Also I heard that the later produced ones (with dual recoil springs?) werent made as well. The guy obviously isnt going to take it apart and he said he didnt know if it was an earlier produced one by universal. Is there any way to tell? He said that it wasnt completely spec because universal changed some stuff internally ie. springs. I saw an auto-ordinance m-1 at the gunshow, seemed really light to me. I assume the gi ones are priced unfair, and how the heck do you know if all the parts are original anyway. This will be just a shooter, want something spec, but dont want some new one where they look for every possible way to make it cheap and sell it high, thinner metals etc..Any suggestions? $500 limit.

Also, if I went with the universal, and it does have dual springs, does that mean I cannot change the stock for a gi stock. I dont like the light finish on some and prefer that older darker finish with some battle scars, just looks meaner :D

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

The dual spring models also had a stamped operating handle assembly.

These are easy to ID by the open cam cut through which you can see the right-hand bolt locking lug.

That amount of money is high for a Universal.

I'd go for one of the new Kahr/Auto Ordnance Carbines.
They're pretty much an exact copy of the USGI Carbines, and I think, most parts will interchange.

Pthfndr

Universal carbines are not made to GI spec. Many of their parts cannot be replaced by GI parts if something breaks. Quality is hit or miss.

edm1

I would pass. I see Universals a lot for under $300, find a real USGI. Import marks don't matter. You can find one for under $500 if you look.

Lion In Winter

Run; do not walk--- away from this manufacturer! I was around when these junkers came out. They didn't work then and age, I would think, has not improved them.

Tommytrauma

New, you can buy a NIB Kahr / AO for five hundred or less. I've never owned a Universal, but have heard a lot about them, none of it good.

cheygriz

Had a Universal years ago. Got rid of it quickly. Bought a Plainfield. It was worse.

I recently bought an Auto Ordnance/Kahr. It appears to be a genuine repro, and very well made. I've only run about 500 rounds through it, but so far, so good.

I don't have enough experience with it yet to recommend it to someone else, but it looks good so far, and you might want to look at them for yourself.

WillBrayjr

The Kahr/Auto-Ordnance is true milspec. Don't get a collector's model if you're looking to shoot the snot out of it.

cheygriz

The Kahr/Auto-Ordnance is true milspec. Don't get a collector's model if you're looking to shoot the snot out of it.

Excellent advice! The originals, at least those in vnice shape, are getting to be so valuable to collectors, that it's better to buy a new repro for a shooter.

(Of coursae, it's also nice to have an original to "fondle." :D )

Ruger4570

Boy !!!! now you guys tell me about collectors value of an Original Military M1 Carbine, now that I have restocked it with a Mannlicher,put on a ramp sight,polished and blued it and tossed all the old parts,, :barf:
Actually I did this work 20 years ago and it shoots so well and is so much fun to play with, I really don't mind that I wrecked the value (too much).
I am surprised at the $$ they are getting for the mil carbines any more, who woulda thunk

SirMissalot

Re:

I haven't shot a KAHR/AO M1, but I have read about a lot of people sending them back to the factory. Here is my experiences with various other M1 Carbines:

1.) IAI M888-It shot 3 inches high @20 yards with S&B, but it made one hole. It functioned flawlessly, but the rear sight adjustment is loose (many people claim the same problem, that is easily remedied with shimming). Price $480 brand new (expect to pay sales tax/shipping/FFL handling fee).

2.) Miltech Winchester-This is an all Winchester/GI parts refurbished. It shot one hole (15 rounds) five times at 50 yards. No jams using various GI mags. This baby is a shooter, and she is pretty. Price $1000

3.) Universal M1 Carbine (later model=two recoil springs)-Bang, jam. Bang, bang, jam. The malfunctions were usually stovepipes or complete failure to extract (I have heard of people swapping the bolt out with USGI bolt and having better luck). I can't really expand on the type of grouping as I was getting flustered clearing the jams. Price $300 used at a gunshow.

4.) USGI Underwood 1943-This rifle compared easily to the Miltech (capable of one hole with 15 rounds), but the stock was not as pretty. It is also the first one I shot that had a flat bolt. Price $500 from a seller on Guns America.

From all that I have read, if you can find one get a reimported USGI (Blue Sky, etc.) You'll probably spend around $500, but it will be a good shooter, and of course you can use USGI parts if/when necessary.

deezulsmoke

"I haven't shot a KAHR/AO M1, but I have read about a lot of people sending them back to the factory"

You need to do your research before posting this. There have been very few of the carbines sent in and they have been corrected immediatly.

Deez.

SirMissalot

Re:

Is the IAI the same thing as a IMI?

IMI stands for Israeli Miltiary Industries famous for manufacturing Desert Eagles. IAI (not sure what the acronym stands for) is based in Houston,TX, and I do not believe they are affiliated.

You need to do your research before posting this. There have been very few of the carbines sent in and they have been corrected immediately.

Deez.

Ummm research. How about going to Battle Rifle's, and ParallaxBill's forums and do a search on Kahr/AO M1 Carbines? I think you will find that the majority of posts on these carbines are negative, however in Kahr's defense it seems their service department is very responsive. I almost bought one of these before buying the IAI M888, until I read the posts (although the posts on the IAI aren't exactly stellar). If I buy a brand new gun, I expect it to function right out of the box. Obviously some Kahr's/AOs aren't. My IAI did? You should do your research before blasting my post, jackball.