Lyman Tumbler Media

Stargazer

I just got some new media as my old ground walnut hull media was worn out and it was taking 4-6 hours to get my cases clean. Got a jug of TufNut media with the red rouge in it. What a difference in the time it takes to get them clean. I ran some 45 Colt cases that were fairly sooty and in two hours they looked new! I should have gotten some of this stuff a long time ago. Anyone else try this TufNut media out yet?

Locoweed

I use TufNut and on average it takes about two hours to get my cases clean. Really dirty cases might take three to four hours. Keep checking it until it's like you like it.

Miata Mike

Anyone else try this TufNut media out yet?

It's all I have ever used since 7# of it came with my loading set I bought used from a guy. I usually run a full tumbler for 3-4 hours. I do like my brass to be very clean and I am not disappointed. ;)

Every now and then I add a small amount of Nufinish car polish to the media and run it for 5 or 10 minutes without brass to freshen it up a little. :D My rouge has been long gone for a while now. ;)

Civil War Life

How much is a little bit when you are adding car polish? I read a lot of posts about adding car cleaner or wax. What does it do to the media, and how long does it last. Sorry if this is considered hijacking a post. Don't mean to, but just read this post about car wax and was wondering. Thanks.

Miata Mike

How much is a little bit when you are adding car polish?

I just dribble a little in, (maybe half a cap full). I run it at least ten minutes until it is well spread out. I think it helps some for 3 or 4 loads.

625cnd

A good suggestion is skip commercially packaged media. Google "graingers" check for a location near you. Then get a bag of Blasting Media - Corn Cob 14/20 Grit. Then change it out every 20 to 25 hours. Use a polish additive of your choice I like Iosso case polish, but Dillon Polish works, Flitz, or Nu Finish. Add used dryer sheets to each batch after tearing it into 4 long strips.

For Walnut go to Wally World or Petco get Lizzard Litter, acutally crushed walnut, and avoid having iron oxide being shot down your gun barrel.

DON'T even think about using corn cob from wally world it is way to course for reloading purposes!

Your pocket book will thank you. Lyman packaged stuff is outrageous compared to getting stuff from graingers or petco.

Last edited:

Jim243

A 50/50 mix of GoZilla (Lizzard Litter/Walnut) (at Petco) and fine corn cobb with a dash of polish will get your cases clean and polished in 30 to 40 min.

It does mine.
Jim

DON'T even think about using corn cob from wally world it is way to course for reloading purposes!

Absolutely agree, it just doesn't work.

Civil War Life

I just dribble a little in, (maybe half a cap full). I run it at least ten minutes until it is well spread out. I think it helps some for 3 or 4 loads.

Thanks. Some really good tips here. I try some of these ideas.

hanno

I get the Zilla "Desert Blend" (ground walnut shells) at Petco when they have the "buy one get one free" sale. A cap full of Nu-Finish and I'm good to go.