Lyman Crusher press & Hornady quick change?

billcarey

Does anyone know if the Lyman Crusher press can be adapted to use the Hornady quick change bushings? I'm not sure if the threaded insert on the press is removable.

Thanks,
bc

oneoldsap

There is no insert on the Lyman press ! if you want to make it a quick change you'll have to make a trip to a machine shop . But I have to ask , WHY ?

PA-Joe

You may want to contact Lyman and see if there bushing has a 1 1/4 x 12 thread and if it can be removed.

Lock-N-Load® Bushing Press Conversion Details

Simply insert a Hornady bushing into your RCBS® Rock Chucker or other reloading press using a 1-1/4-12 thread, and you’re ready to take advantage of Hornady’s Lock-N-Load technology. It’s the easiest way to get the most out of your competitor's reloading press.
Details

Item Number 044095
Weight 0.10 lbs

Price: $12.51
Quantity Price

WESHOOT2

Do the math: $3 times 150 or so

I simply buy and use Forster/Bonanza die-lock rings; set and forget.

Yes, I gotta lotta them rings; I mean a LOT.

oneoldsap

There is no bushing fo ! Has anyone heard of Rube Goldberg ? Supposedly he was an engineer that designed machines with as many parts as possible to do the most simple of jobs . That's what bushings do for a single stage press , just a gimmick to sell more stuff . If a man doesn't have enough energy to unscrew a die and screw it back in at some point , he ought to just lay down and die ! Obviously if breathing weren't an involuntary reflex he'd suffocate anyway !

Last edited:

GP100man

Older Orange Crushers had a bushing , The usual 1 1/2X12 .

I loaded a few shotgun shells with 1 .

I bought an Orange Crusher ,it came with the hammer tone finish gray, black ???

It has no bushing.

billcarey

Thanks for the responses. I guess I need to call Lyman and see what they say. I'm ready to buy a backup single stage and want the option of the bushings. I will do a Rockchucker if the Lyman is a problem.

bc

oldreloader

PA_JOE. This is what I was basing the NO bushing on:

Press Type: Single Stage
Frame Material: Cast Iron
Frame Design: O-Frame
Frame Offset:
Frame Opening Size: 4-1/2"
Handle Location: Bottom Right or Left Hand
Die Size Accepted: 7/8"-14 Threaded Dies
Die Bushing Accepted: No

wncchester

Oldsap, you have a beautiful way of expressing the obvious!

It takes what, maybe 45 seconds to swap out screwed-in dies? So even if "quick change" die bushings were free and instantaneous they wouldn't be worth much for saving less than two minutes of time per reloading session.

I like Lee's priming Classic Cast system. My liking it don't make it good, so that don't amount to much, just a personal taste sorta thing I suppose. People do have different tastes, otherwise no one would buy anything made by Gov'mint Motors. ??

Last edited:

billcarey

If a man doesn't have enough energy to unscrew a die and screw it back in at some point , he ought to just lay down and die ! Obviously if breathing weren't an involuntary reflex he'd suffocate anyway !

Oldsap, you have a beautiful way of expressing the obvious!

Get a happy life you two...

bc

Real Gun

Using the MidwayUSA site, the lowest priced SS press that would accept the Hornady bushings is the Lee Classic Cast at $85. The next one is $132 (55% more) in the Hornady LnL Classic, which comes with three adapters and one bushing. If intending to avoid the Lee priming system, it looks like the Hornady unit should be under consideration.