Lyman carbide adjustable decapping rod ?

NoSecondBest

I'm not sure what you mean by "adjustable", but they work fine. I just got a .223 neck sizer with the carbide stem. What it does is reduce the drag on the neck when going in and out for sizing. They come in different calibers and I got the .223 Rem.

NoSecondBest

It's exactly the same size decapping rod you get with any other die. It can be taken out and put in an RCBS die as a replacement. It won't bend any easier than any other rod.

USSR

Like most things with you, NSB, I disagree. Size isn't everything. The temper of the steel is soft and the rod bends easily.

Don

NoSecondBest

Feel free to disagree. Just what is the temper on each rod? I and my friends must have gotten flukes, none have bent yet.

44 AMP

Staff
In 50 years of using Lyman (and other) dies, I've NEVER bent a decapping stem. Plenty of bent/broken pins, but never the rod.

I'd say if you bend the decapping rod, you're doing something wrong.

T. O'Heir

The only part of the Lyman carbide adjustable decapping rod assembly that is carbide is the expander button. That has an adjustable positioning sleeve. Can't imagine why they think that'd be necessary other than separating you from your money. The case is going to stretch anyway.

gwpercle

They work just fine . The carbide expander button eliminates the need for inside neck lubrication , in theory they pull through the sized down case neck easier. In theory and on paper this sounds good...But you know what Yogi Berra says about theory !
T. O'heir (post #10) probably nailed it !

Even when using them I still lube inside a case neck every 5-6 cases with a Q-Tip and Lee Case Lube , the wax lube dries and doesn't contaminate powder and makes bullet seating easier . Of course I've never had a problem using the standard steel expander buttons either .

Gary

Last edited:

NoSecondBest

It does seem to make a small difference. It doesn't "pull" the neck as much when sizing the case. I've been playing around the last 2-3 months with different methods of sizing .223 Rem cases and adjusting headspace in the gun. I've gotten two pages of data measuring multiple loads shot under different parameters. Setting the headspace made a difference, bumping the shoulder for me didn't make a measurable difference, and using the carbide expander button seemed to improve groups a bit. I got my TC Encore pro hunter to where the last eight 5 shot groups were all at or under .65" at a hundred yards. When I first got the MGM barrel I was getting over an inch for about everything I put through the gun and sometimes one load would shoot .5" and the next time it would be over an inch. Keeping everything FL sized with adjusted headspace, using the carbide expander, and finally setting the bullet .005 off the lands got me to some very consistent groups. Not record breaking by any means, but I could see what was making improvements and what didn't seem to do anything. YMMV
Note: in fifty years of reloading I've broken exactly two decapping pins. Last one was probably twenty years ago.

IMtheNRA

How well does the rod work? Works fine, holding the carbide expander, which itself does a wonderful job in all the RCBS dies I converted with the Lyman carbide kit.

USSR is right - the rod bends the moment it encounters a Berdan primed case.

IMtheNRA

You're right. He mostly wanted to read about your Encore load development, your group size, and most importantly, EXACTLY how many pins you broke during your decades of reloading.

The carbide expander balls are great. If you use them for rifle cases I recommend you still apply the traditional dry (motor mica or graphite) neck lube. That reduces the drag still further, essentially eliminating the pulled-off-axis neck tilt commonly associated with steel expanders.

The adjustability allows you to raise the expander to just engage the bottom of the neck before the case mouth has fully cleared the neck of the sizing die. This further reduces the chances of getting an off-axis neck by forcing the expander to center in the die axis. Just be careful you don't get the expander and sizing die neck too close together as making expander contact with the brass before it has got clear enough from the sizing die actually increases drag.

The adjustability allows the same expander to be set up as I described above for several different length cartridges that use the same bullet diameter.

What usually bends decapping stems is decapping cases with varying head thicknesses. You set up on a case you think has full head thickness, but you find out you were wrong when the thicker head of another case rams into the decapping pin chuck.