Lyman 57 receiver “Peep Sight”

akinswi

I noticed that Lyman still makes these,

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights/lyman-57-receiver-peep-sights

I had one my 03A3 and loved it.

I see it says it fits mausers, I have two questions 1. will have to modify my reciever to install this and 2nd can i still use the front original front post.

None of my Mausers are sportized, I have a turkish mauser, Yugo M47 and another one thats Yugo I think M24.

I cannot shoot worth a dang with the v notch sights but peep sights I love but I dont like the mojo sight setup.

Wanted to ask here before I spent 124.00 on the rear sight
thanks

Dfariswheel

If it's listed for a specific model of Mauser no mods to the rifle are needed other then drilling and tapping the side for the mounting screws.
But to be sure you can contact Lyman and they can help you select the right model.

Mauser receivers do vary depending on the actual model whether an 1891, 1893, 1895, or 1898 model.

"Usually" the aperture receiver sights can be used with the original front.
If not, Brownell's sell a front sight that fits 1891 through 1898 barrels that can be zeroed.......

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...blank-prod341.aspx?avs|Make_3=Mauser&psize=96

Scorch

In order to mount a receiver sight on a rifle, it has to have mounting holes. If your rifle does not have two threaded mounting holes on the right side of the rear receiver bridge, it will have to be drilled and tapped. Additionally, the stock will need to be modified to allow mounting and clearance for the base and the sight elevation bar. You have probably seen rifles with the cutouts for peep sights.

Drm50

I have Lyman 48s, 57s and 66s on most of my woods deer guns as well on 39 Marlin & BSA Martini 22s. It’s true Lyman still makes these sights but they are now made of aluminum.
The 57 for Springfield, Enfield, Mauser and I believe Arisaka all use same sight and have to be tapped and stock relieved to accept sight.I have a long range model that I had on 1903.

dgludwig

Another peep sight option for the Mauser action is the fine Williams "Foolproof" receiver sight (Model FP 98).