Lyman 55 Powder Measure

jaguarxk120

Who use's the Lyman 55? I have one that was sitting the shelf for a number of years, always picking the Redding to use.
This time I used the Lyman, easy to set up with the three slides any powder charge can be had. I loaded some 44 magnum shells with the classic H-110.
The H-110 flows faster than spilled water! No powder leaking anywhere and
charges were spot on for the 100 rounds I loaded.

I like the Redding and it will stay set for 8 grains Unique I use in the 45 Colt.
But as easy as the Lyman is to set I thing It might be my go to measure now.

scatterbrain

Lyman 55

I've had a Lyman 55 since the 60's, a very accurate little tool. If I'm at my game, the 55 will be moe consistant than any other power measure I use. Sure, stick power can be tough at times, but I do this as a hobby, not a job. By the way, I drop the powder into a scale pan to measure every load, the above is not a guess.

muzzleblast...

A Lyman 55 was the first measure I ever bought. I have acquired at least a half dozen other powder measures since then, but the old Lyman will always have a place on my bench.

Reloader270

I have a Lyman 55, a RCBS Uniflow and a Harrel Benchrest Powder Measure. All of them have problems with stick powder. I like the Lyman hammer system it works excellent and it is versatile for both pistol and rifle. The only thing that makes the Harrel superior is the click adjustment system. One click is more or less 0.1 grain with most powders.

603Country

I use my Lyman 55 just for pistol rounds, and it does a fine job. I bought it in the early 80’s. I weigh about every 10th round or so, and variance is about 0.1 gr at most. W231 meters great. Universal meters a bit better than Unique.

jmorris

I like if for some powders, H-110/296 flows well out of anything. Some measures it even flows out of places it shouldn’t.

Marco Califo

Lyman #55

I have a #55 from the 1980's. It is my most accurate measure with any powder. It is not necessarily always the most convenient. I have a Lee PPM which works well for most loading, and is light weight and portable and came with a "stand" piece which lets me clamp it to a plastic board. I also got an adapter (not made by Lee) to use it on my Lyman turret. But I am not about to sell my #55. In the 1980's I had no difficulty using and measuring Unique for handgun loads.

KenT7021

I have used a Lyman 55 since the 50's.I think I have four of them.The only other measures I use are the RCBS Little Dandy measures that I use for reloading handgun ammo.I prefer the 55 over the other measures for ease of use at least for me.