Lyman 45 score!

FrankenMauser

Lyman 45, won via a local internet auction.
$7 winning bid. :D --I'm guessing, because people assumed it was incomplete and/or had issues.

But, no.

It's complete (minus wrench), in reasonable condition, completely functional, AND has a sizing die and nose punch installed. (Haven't pulled the die yet to see what it is. I got dirty enough doing other things today -- didn't want to deal with what appears to be an Alox/moly home-brew bullet lube, too.)

Even if it leaks like a sieve when I get some lube flowing, I'm already ahead. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lyman45_720.jpg
    Lyman45_720.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 362

Mike / Tx

Well your going to like that once you get it cleaned up. It might not be your best friend for everything, but it will over a lot of different loads that don't need PC.

When I got my Saeco it was full of the alox junk as well. I turned it upside down over a bucket with a plastic bag in it. Then put one of those clamp on lights with a small 75w spot light shining on the flat bottom, and just let it go for a few hours.

When I came back most of the gunk had warmed up and fallen out the top. I used a few paper towels soaked with Mineral Spirits to knock out the rest. There is going to be some that remains in the chamber around the sizing die but it will eventually push out, or get covered up by the new lube.

Have fun, and post up some nice newly lubed bullets when your done. :D

Beagle333

Nice! Great price on that one.
I just boiled all the Javelina/Alox lube out of a (new to me) 45 about two weeks ago. I keep swearing I won't buy another thing with that black stuff in there. I got it everywhere!!!! The more you wipe it, the bigger the smear gets!

FrankenMauser

I'll probably hang it in the sun later in the week, and see what dribbles out.
If that doesn't work, I'll probably tear it down and boil it out like I did with a 450 a couple months back.

I'm not in the right mood to attack whatever lube that is, just yet...