Luger Troubleshooting

MK11

This past weekend I got the chance to see some pistols brought back by my wife's grandfather from WWII, including a P38 and a P.08.

The P38 has some serious holster wear but seems built like a tank. The Luger, however, may have some problems. If you tip it back and forth the top part of the frame really slops around, showing a noticeable gap with the bottom half when tipped backwards. The toggle can be pulled up but must be pushed back down manually, rather than cycling on its own.

Is there a problem here and what is it? Can this be fixed?

Jim Watson

It might be as simple as the last person who took it apart not getting the coupling link engaged with the recoil spring lever. Or there might be something broken or lost out of the gun.

Field stripping with a caution on getting those parts engaged is shown at:
http://www.gunsworld.com/assembly/luger_ass_us.htm

Videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD9hqSoBb5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBP0RX7mctQ&feature=related
Not real clear images, but he does emphasize getting the link right.

If it is more complicated than that, check at:
www.lugerforum.com

ChicagoTex

The P38 has some serious holster wear but seems built like a tank.

Just don't fire +P ammo in that "tank", or you'll find out just how fragile it is.
Don't get me wrong, I like P38s, but they are old and sensitive.

MK11

I'm aware of that. These both have original holsters and markings, so I don't think they'll be shot much anyway. I just want to get the Luger in working condition.

ChicagoTex

Does anyone know how much a p38 from WW2 (in working condition) is worth?

It can vary tremendously depending on condition, markings, and provenance.

For something that's just a shooter (i.e. no special markings, no provenance, decent but hardly minty condition), figure $400-$500.

jal5

Check out this site-
p38forum.com

lots of folks who specifically collect, fix, buy/sell these pistols.

hosstheef

Luger problem

Hi,
I have a 9 mm Luger made in 1937. A decent gun; basically a shooter with one problem: After I fire the 1st round, 2 rounds will come up from the mag. The bottom of the mag sticks out about 1/8 inch from the grip. If I push on the bottom of the mag into the grip while shooting, the gun works fine.
Same thing occurs with 2 other new, after market mags.
However, if I load the mag with 4 or less rounds, the gun shoots ok.
What's causing this?

Thanks

PzGren

Hosstheef,

you most likely have a P.08 that was commonly built in the Mauser factory in 1937, it should be marked S/42 on the toggle.

The problem that you describe with the original magazine sounds as if the notch for the mag release has been opened up too much. The magazine is numbered on the bottom, check if the number matches the gun since they were fitted to guns in the factory or by armourers.

The magazine should firmly sit in the gun with no upward movement, if the mag does not sit high enough, it will probably also not operate the hold-open latch, failing to lock the gun open on an empty mag.

What aftermarket magazines do you have? The best aftermarket magazines are Mec-Gars, they are marked Made in Italy and are known to work reliably in Lugers.

If you have Mec-Gars and not Triple K or other magazines, you will have to change the recoil spring.

You find details on the Lugerforum here:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=17945

mete

Any old gun should be taken care of .That means no hot loads etc.

BTW the P 08 and P 38 have a long travel for the cartridge to go from magazine to chamber . Therefore you might find feeding problems with shorter, lighter bullets.

RickB

What aftermarket magazines do you have? The best aftermarket magazines are Mec-Gars, they are marked Made in Italy and are known to work reliably in Lugers.

I recently bought two Mec-Gars for my Luger, and one could not be filled to capacity; the follower would jam, and the rounds that had been loaded would rattle around in the tube. The seller said he had never had an issue with Mec-Gar Luger mags, but he shipped a replacement, and that one worked perfectly.

hosstheef

Luger problem

PzGren
Yes, my Luger has S/42 & 1937 embossed on it. The mag that came with it is not original. Mag body & follower is stainless & base is alum. or pot metal. No numbers.
Aftermarket mags are Mitchell Stoeger with black, metal body with plastic base & follower. Loading problem occurs with both mags.

PzGren

Hosstheef,

all your magazines are aftermarket magazines and I would at this time blame them for your feeding problems. The magazine spring needs to have the proper tension and be pretty much tuned to the recoil spring.

The old Parabellum load used a less progressive powder behind a 124 gr FMJ bullet and was not loaded very hot, shooting more or less powerful ammo will disturb the balance of magazine and recoil spring. A powerful load will also cause stress on the toggle and leave its imprint on the rear of the upper.

Your gun was most likely issued to the Wehrmacht and should then be marked accordingly; two acceptance stamps of eagle and 63 and the "fat chick" which is the proof stamp. 1937 was the year where the P.08 saw some changes, the bluing process was changed from rust bluing to a dip (you can tell by checking inside your frame, rust bluing did not reach there). The small parts were no longer strawed and Mauser reenforced the frame with the "Mauser hump".

Lugers are a bit finicky but I have mine work reliably with various reloads, including 124 gr LRN and even 124 LTC.