Luger P 08?

velocette

I'm looking for information on approximate value and availability for a 9mm Luger P 08 pistol. I want a shooter, not a collecter. Rarity is not of interest. What I want is a pistol I can shoot and enjoy. I do not want a later imitation. Ones made under contract or for other militarys are ok as are civilian versions.

So what am I looking at for cost? How hard are they to find for a working persons price level? What should I look for or look out for?

TIA

Roger

bufordtjustice

Good Lord Man!!!

You certainly don't ask for much do ya? lol

The last few "shooters" I have priced have come in around $800 or so IIRC. Your definition of what is an acceptable shooter may differ greatly from mine though. I have been eyeing one ever since my brother picked one up and here is what I know.

1. You could read a hundred books on the different makes, models, etc. and still not be an expert.

2. They are finicky eaters and require trial and error to find a good ammo. Someone once told me they liked a "hotter" load to more effectively work the toggle. I have no clue as to whether or not that is accurate. My brother's gun handles WWB (115Gr?) the best and doesn't care for the lawmen rounds or hydrashok I gave him.

3. The magazines were often the culprit for many of the malfunctions.

4. Whatever joker is selling them will give you some story as to how the Luger you are interested in was owned by Hitler or was otherwise ultra-rare and valuable.

5. Someone like me will give you advice that others will come along and immediately disagree with.

6. They are fairly available at most of the gun shows I have been to.

Stevie-Ray

They are rather an expensive toy. I have a DWM that I've never shot. It was a WWII trophy given to me by a good friend. That means far more to me than shooting it.

BillDish

luger

There are numerous DWM commercials available that were sold in the US around the 20's and 30's. There seems to be some availability but they are usually .30 with a few 9mm, these go for around $800 to $1000 depending on bore and finish. I got a Mauser P08 made in the early 70s (they only made them for a couple of years) that is the Swedish version that is a good shooter. It was made to the luger specs by Mauser for distribution to the US market. Great for shooting and I got it for $800 and it was unused. Not to dependable but it is accurate as heck. It turns heads at the range and I really enjoy just owning it.

The WWII with Nazi markings are very expensive and are collectors. Good luck! Owning a luger is a matter of pride!

44 AMP

Staff
All Lugers are collectors pieces now.....

What varies is the degree, and price.

Lugers with the finish gone are in the $800 price range, and it isn't going to go down. Refinshed guns are also in that same price range, or more. I have an absolutely beautiful 1936 Mauser S/42, factory refinished (so I was told) that I got for about that last year. It looks brand new.

Guns with some fair amount of original finish left are around twice that much. Rare variations (and there are a lot of them) can be 3 times as much, or more. One 1917 P.08 at the last gun show I saw was $1600. Fair condition. An Artillery model was $2200.

The last P.08 Lugers were made in 1942, when Nazi Germany stopped production. Mauser made some in the 1970s, using the Swiss pattern frame (1902 model), and you can sometimes find these in new/like new for around $8-900. Erma made some .380"baby Lugers" back in the 60s-70s, but these guns have some aluminium alloy parts, and don't hold up well. Also repair parts are nonexistant. Stoeger made some .22LR "Lugers" (I have a couple) that are fun, but are not true P.08 replicas, even though they do use a toggle action. They are Lugers, because Stoeger owns the rights to the "Luger" name in the US.

P.08s have a reputation for being finicky about the ammo they need to run reliably, and a lot of US made ammo doesn't work well. They have poor sights for any practical use, fair to poor triggers too. But they are a really neat piece of history, and a lot of fun. Expect to spend the best part of $1000 for a decent shooter, in today's market.

Just FYI, the most valuable single handgun existant today is a Luger. The single surviving .45ACP Luger made for the US army tests that eventually resulted in the adoption of the Colt 1911 as our survice pistol. Last time it was appraised, it was valued at a million dollars!

Pilot

I have a rearsenalled Mauser (BYF 42) Luger with all its Nazi markings intact, that came back through Russia or East Germany. It was refinished in one of these countries after WWII and I bought it when they were allowed to be imported in the mid 90's. It has never hiccuped, has been 100% reliable with all ammo including my reloads. The gun is accurate with an odd but EXCELLENT trigger with a clean break.