Luger help......

darogue1

My dealer has a Luger with 1938 stamped on the chamber,all numbers match, 2 mags with at least 1 sn to gun (didn't ask about the second one) small "12" on most of the parts and a holster Price: $615 or $650 can't remember exactly. Asked her if she knew any "history" (war trophy ect) she said she didn't. 4" barrel average condition think that most of wear was from holster. Do I put it on lay away gang or forget about it and wait for a new Kimber 45. I was not thinking about buying one but collector interest is hot in these. Also do you think that it could be a war trophy. opinions welcome and requested Thanks gang DAROGUE1

johnwill

I don't qualify as a Luger expert, even though I own a couple of them. :) One thing I would look for is any kind of import stamp. If there is no import stamp, there's a good chance that it's a war bring-back.

Walt Sherrill

If it hasn't been arsenal reblued -- and most of those don't have matching numbers -- you may be looking at a reasonably-priced shooter. (It may even be collectible.)

I've had a couple of Lugers and will keep one old beater/shooter, but there are too many hucksters selling "collectibles" in the market for my taste.

The price you cited is top-end for non-collectibles, but the starting price for collectibles.

(War trophy or not doesn't make that much difference -- unless you have written documentation to support its "trophy" status. And the import marks don't matter that much either, if it hasn't been reblued. Collectors don't like import marks, but will live with them if everything else is right.)

My shooter was one of the flood of guns imported from the ex-Communist block. All parts but the side plate matched, and it had been reblued. Amazingly accurate despite a badly pitted barrel. A real hassle to keep running, though, as something seems to go wrong every couple of months, when I shoot it regularly. And because Lugers were essentially hand-made guns, you just can't swap out parts -- they often take hand fitting by somebody who knows what he's doing. (And, because the parts are all numbered, swapping out numbered parts affects the collector's value.) If the gun has been reblued, it basically destroys its collector's value.

Buy it for a shooter, and hope its collectible.

denfoote

You might want to direct your questions to www.lugerforum.com . These guys are rabid luger collectors, and know just about everything there is to know about the pistol. They are very helpful, and will answer all your inquiries. One of them has the biggest collection of lugers in the world, including Gorg Luger's personal pistol!!!!