Luger appraisal?

Quincunx

Hope to get a little input from the Lugerphiles here. I've been offered one by a friend, who acquired it from a relative over 25 years ago. He states that he isn't really sure as to its worth, and I have little to no experience with Lugers. He states that he's willing to have me get it appraised by anyone I'd like, and he'll settle for asking approximately what the appraiser thinks it's worth. Therefore, any suggestions on someone (preferably in the eastern NC area, but not necessarily) to do the appraisal? Thanks very much in advance! I'll try to post some pictures, but all I have is my blurry little camera phone. :eek:

James K

Member In Memoriam
There are so many Luger variations and such a wide range of prices, that good pictures and a complete description of all marks would be the minimum needed for any honest appraisal. I would say that a Luger in reasonably good condition (some finish wear but no rust or broken parts) would bring at least $500-600. From there, the value can go up to 10k or more for rare pieces in exceptional condition.

Jim

Martowski

Here is a link to a gun shop that happens to be located near me. They are known nationally as one of the foremost "Luger shops" and experts in the nation. I have seen their collection supplied to gun magazines for photography, and they offer a Luger appraisal service.

This may be more than what you're looking for, but you can be guaranteed these guys know what they're talking about. It's not cheap, but if you're really looking for an expert opinion, here you go.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/

Quincunx

Update and thank you!

Thanks, guys! I had the Luger checked out by a couple of people in the area. Details I found out (again, bear with me if this is elementary, as my prior knowledge of Lugers was minimal) include that it's a 1921 "DWM" commercial P08, 9mm caliber, 4" barrel, with matching numbers on frame and barrel. The bluing is about 85% (a little pitting here & there, mainly on the barrel and backstrap). The magazine appears to be non-original (stamped "Made in Holland" in English), and one of the grips is cracked. I got quoted a likely value of around $1400-1600 if the pistol sold on one of the auction websites; based on my internet browsings over the past few days, that seemed to be in the ballpark for its condition. When we next spoke, I told my friend that I wouldn't be able to afford to pay him what it was truly worth, and was about to give it back to him. He then surprised me by offering it to me for quite a bit less, stating that he was no collector, he could tell I really liked the piece, and he just wanted to see it go to a good home. It's restored some of my faith in humanity, I tell ya..........:)

Now, to look around for some replacement grips and put this baby to work! (Hope the camera phone pictures aren't too horrible.....)

Attachments

• P08L.jpg
    P08L.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 188
  • P08R.jpg
    P08R.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 150