Lucky Larry (gobbler)

bamaranger

Well, AL Spring gobbler season is underway, I've hunted 7 out of 8 days, killed one jake turkey. Weather has just started to get right, and I have to start back to work tomorrow.

Despite bad weather, I've been on birds, but have only pulled the trigger once. Got busted once, I moved (Geez, just a little too!) and have had several instances where gobbling birds would not answer or come in. Henned up.

I always name "problem" turkeys, and this years bird is Lucky Larry. I have had the gun on Larry 3 times now, but for various reasons, would not shoot. Too far, property line, too thick, etc.

Today I watched the devil for 15-20 mins strut at about 65 yds, but he would not come in, he had a hen in sight and I could not budge her either.

I will try and roost Larry again this evening. If I can get motivated to do it.
Eight days in and I'm so sleep deprived I can't talk right.

shortwave

I have had the gun on Larry 3 times now, but for various reasons, would not shoot. Too far, property line, too thick, etc.

Sign of a well seasoned, veteran hunter right there.

Kudo's to ya bamaranger for being patient and not rushing the shot.

Vermonter

I have a question

What does the turkey call you? Harry hunter or something?

Spring gobbler starts here 1 May and boy am I pumped for it. I was covered up in turkey all deer season this year and they are still in the vicinity. I keep seeing them in the feild I have permission to hunt. Hopefully no one tells em that May 1 is their day of reckoning.

Regards, Vermonter

Good luck with Lucky

I think that all experienced hunters have that animal or animals that they get to know and they earn nicknames. You'll get a crack at him. He didn't become a trophy being stupid......or in a turkey's case "lucky" as well.

bamaranger

twice

I've hunted for Larry twice now, most recently this AM, and no gobbles and no tracks. I last heard him on the roost in the PM, on private land I cannot hunt. Maybe he got wacked.

I did see 3 other gobblers today a couple of miles away, and saw likely one of them this PM just before dark. He's got to be a couple of hundred yds from point last seen. Hope to be there in the AM.