Lucky at range

Huffmanite

Well, lucky in that a fellow member was there who had a local gunsmith build a 25-06 mauser 98 actioned rifle about 8 months ago. Knew the gent had a problem getting the rifle to shoot worth a hoot. Its a long story, but when he first got the rifle, 3"-4" 100 yd groups were typical. Knew he'd returned the rifle to the gunsmith a couple of times and there had been some improvement in its accuracy, but still pretty bad.

So, last Friday, I say hi to the gent and would ask him Did you ever get that 25-06 mauser rifle to shoot. Leaving out the colorful words, he said NO! "I need to sell it, you interested in it?" Not really I replied, know you have about $600 in the rifle (not including its scope) and I'd insult you with my offer for the rifle. Then he asked me, would you pay $200?

So, next day I'm at his house buying the rifle. Nothing fancy about the rifle. Has a Steyr 98 mauser action with its bolt turned for a scope, a 24" barrel with a 5/8" diameter muzzle (barrel maker unknown). All the metal has been cerracoated and the stock is a plastic one made by Ramline for mauser action rifles.

Have had time to correct some things I didn't like about the rifle, that may account for its inaccuracy. Darn weather here keeps me from going to range. Previous owner is a good shot, has hunting rifles he can shoot 1/2-3/4" yd groups with all day long. Gent told me he put over 200 rounds downrange with the rifle (both factory and handloads) and about best group he shot was a little more than 2 1/2" .

Anyway, if barrel is the problem, have a ready solution. Have a new 6mm Shilen barrel that's threaded for a large ring mauser and I just may have it chambered in 6mm Remington and put on the action. Like I told the seller, I'm paying you what the action and the work done on it is worth. Reason I bought the rifle.

smarquez

I have a 96 Mauser in a Ramline stock and it is a lousy fit. I think it twists the action. I know it binds going in and coming out.
I would have been all over that like you, just for the action alone.

AllenJ

Sounds like you got a great deal and have a good plan if that barrel does not work out. Be sure to keep us update and include pictures if possible! What changes did you make to improve the accuracy?

Pathfinder45

Recycling.....

Yeah, so much for plastic stocks. Throw it in the recycle bin and replace it with a plain but decent piece of Walnut. Couldn't do worse and it might make a good shooter after all.