Lucas McCain: What was his rifle?

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Played by Chuck Connors in "The Rifleman" 60's TV series.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

David Roberson

It was a Winchester 92, probably in .44 WCF (.44-40) although I don't recall anyone in the show ever saying what caliber. A true devotee of the program may know.

Steven Mace

DC, I believe David is correct. And I would agree that it was chambered in .44-40 also. You can visit http://members.tripod.com/~northfork/therifle.html for a little more information. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

[This message has been edited by Steven Mace (edited April 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Steven Mace (edited April 30, 2000).]

Jay Baker

It was a Win. 92, originally in .44-40 WCF, but used the "four-in-one" blanks that were most often in the guns used in the Hollywood westerns.

J.B.

[This message has been edited by Jay Baker (edited April 30, 2000).]

Jeff Thomas

BTW, that was a great show. Lots of positive, good-guy-wins stuff, and decent moral messages.

I watched a Lone Ranger episode some time back, and while it was a bit fanciful, the message to kids was great.

Today's entertainers may view those old shows as naive or simplistic, but they had a much better impact on kids. Lots of positive lessons like self reliance, telling the truth, showing the shame of theft and taking innocent life, etc. From what I see, the lessons of The Rifleman aren't often provided in today's TV offerings.

Regards from AZ

Greg G

You do have to admit though, for two guys living out in the middle of nowhere, they sure got into a lot of trouble. ;)

Paul B.

I can't be sure, but if memory serves, the rifle was a Mod 92 Winchester in 32-20. This was brought out in a magazine article sometime in the 60's on movie guns. It would take a while, but I may even still have the magazine somewhere. (I never throw out gun magazines, especially metal ones.) Seriously, I think it may have been a copy of GUNS Magazine, maybe around 1967 or thereabouts.
As to when Lucas said it was a 44-40? Hell he could have probably said it was a .600 Nitro Express and the average TV watcher would not have known the difference. Iguess I'll have to watch a couple of the re-re-re-runs one of these days. If I remember correctly, the hole in the front looked to be too small to be a 44-40. If I get time, I'll look for it.
Paul B.

garyo

What an excellent show! I always watched those reruns. What ever happened to TV like that? Those westerns had more good morals and values than most people will ever know. We need more great actors like John Wayne, Gene Autry etc. to help pass along all these great values to kids today. I really miss those great westerns. The last good western I saw was Silverado and there hasn't been a good one since.

------------------
Take Care

loknload

Alot of todays actors and writers don't have the class that the actors and writers of "Yesteryear" had. The Rifleman,The Lawman,The Bounty Hunter, The Rebel were all my favorites as a kid. All good TV IMHO ;) TV
today is mostly crapola :rolleyes:
garyo, If you have not seen a good western since Silverado, Then somehow you must have missed Tombstone :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I saw a rifle (sbr) in a museum in central City coloraod (pre gambling) that was proclaimed to be steve mcqueen's from the bounty hunter. It was an 'in the white' sawed off winchester 94 with the large loop and it was in 30-30 stock was cut behind the loop.. interesting piece. I recall several other "movie guns" being in the collection at this side show museum.

loknload

Ahh, the infamous Mares Leg :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous