Lubricating a P345

BlueTrain

I am the mostly happy owner of a new Ruger P345. Mostly only because I could only buy one gun, passing up several other interesting things. But it has about all the right things mostly. Not too thick, not too heavy, won't rust, perfectly good trigger and nothing sticks out too far. It is a little taller when I got it home than it seem to be in the shop but I'm still happy. And it's a .45.

Owner manuals these days are a sight to look at, what with all the red printing and warnings and so on. But I thought there were omissions just the same. Under maintenance it says to lubricate by wiping with a lightly oiled cloth, or words to that effect. But it makes absolutely no reference at all to lubricating where the slide rides on the (plastic) frame. I haven't turned up any other information here or elsewhere that adds much except for the vague comment that the polymer frame is "self-lubricating."

Any suggestions about any lubrication on the slide and rails? And while we're at it, any suggestions about what lubrication to use?

NYPD13

I always place a drop of plain jane gun oil (usually hoppes) in each slide rail recess. When you re-assemble simply work the slide a bit to ensure to oil is properly distributed in that channel. Also don't forget to oil the outside of the barrel and the cam block where it meets the barrel. These are all friction points that are best lubricated.

BlueTrain

Thanks. I was beginning to think no one else here had one. I am a little surprised that the Ruger manual did not go into any more detail than it did on the subject.

obxned

My experience with the P345 is that they will run just fine bone dry, but I would never feel comfortable doing that. I like a bit of grease where it slides and a tiny bit of oil where it pivots.

rburch

My brother carries one pretty much everyday. He can conceal it just fine IWB under his tshirt.

He just rubs a bit of oil on the rails and friction points.

You got a good one, the times i've shot his I really liked it.

Kyo

i use balistol to clean/lube it. a drop on the slide rails and then I spread it around with a tooth pick. my finger can't fit on the inside of the rails like that. a minute amount under the hood of the slide where the barrel will hit, one on the guide rod and spread it around, one on the barrel and where the barrel connects to the guide rod. feels like butter after.

TRguy

quote - .....they will run just fine bone dry, but I would never feel comfortable doing that. I like a bit of grease where it slides and a tiny bit of oil where it pivots.

I told HER the same thing.

azredhawk44

I use Tetra Gun Grease, but it's just a plain white lithium grease as far as I can tell. Grease for the rails, oil for everywhere else.

BlueTrain

What I had been wondering about was the effect of the slide reciprocating on the frame and worrying about wear. Yet when I finally got around to studying the gun itself, it doesn't look like there is any contact between the edges of the frame and the slide itself, at least not where one would expect to see it. There is clearly some contact somewhere but not there. I still haven't got around to taking it apart but there is an obvious space between the slide and the edge of the frame.