Lubing rifle cases

Vance

I have been reloading for my pistols for the last two years and a few months. Now I am going to start reloading .223's. I have a tube of case lube from lee that I got with my Lee anniversary breechlock challenger single stage that I never used. How do you tell when you have enough on the case? It says sparingly, but how sparingly? After I have sized/decapped, can I just run them in the tumbler for 10 to 30 minutes to clean the lube off instead of using a washcloth with soap and water?

Don't want a stuck case from not enough lube. Thanks, Vance.

ScottRiqui

I put the cases in a large bowl, put on some vinyl gloves, and squeeze about an inch of the Lee lube into my palm. I rub my hands together to spread around the lube, then sift my hands through the cases in the bowl until the lube is spread over the cases. After sizing, I run them through the tumbler to remove the lube.

I realize that my method gets lube on the case neck, which can evidently cause crushing/buckling of the shoulder in some rifle cases, but I've never had it happen with .223, and I've never had a case get stuck in the die.

hk33ka1

I didn't use the Lee lube much as I had already been using RCBS case lube 2 and Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

You should have enough on the case body (not the outisde of the neck or shoulder) and a tad inside the neck so that cases size with a little bit of effort. If it is really hard to size a normal case like .223, then there is likely not enough lube and you should stop, remove the case and add more lube.

If you are only loading like 5-10 rounds I would just wipe them off with a rag. If you are doing a bunch I like to tumble just like you said for long enough to clean the lube off.

edit I see Scott uses the method for Lee lube that I hear many people like.

ScottRiqui

hk33ka1,

I have a tin of the Imperial Sizing Wax that I haven't tried out yet. Do you smear some on every case, or every other case? Or do you just go by feel when sizing, and lube the next case when things start getting a little stiff?

jepp2

I have used Lee lube in the past. I used a closed cell pad to apply it. It lubricated nicely, but it was difficult to get it on uniformly. It wanted to get too much on (which will cause dents in the shoulders) or too little. It is water based and can cause your dies to rust, so make sure you clean them thoroughly when you finish a sizing session.

Imperial case sizing wax is more fool proof for a beginner IMHO. Just wipe the cases lightly with it. It really reduces the sizing effort and is almost impossible to apply too much. I moved on only because it was too slow for me. But Imperial is just a fine case sizing lube.

AllenJ

It says sparingly, but how sparingly?

Pretty sparingly. You'll be amazed at how so little can go so far, or at least I am. I have always used RCBS lube and a case lube pad. I put a few dots on the pad and spread them around with my finger, working it into the pad. The first half dozen or so cases I put just enough pressure on to roll them over the lubed area. By the time I'm lubing the 50th case I am putting enough pressure that the case is pressing into the pad.

After I have sized/decapped, can I just run them in the tumbler for 10 to 30 minutes to clean the lube off instead of using a washcloth with soap and water?

A better method is to wipe the excess lube of with a towel and then toss them into your tumbler. That helps your media last longer.

Cary

Another way to use the Lee Lube is from a pump spray bottle. Purchase a pint of rubbing alcohol from the store. Take the tube of Lee Sizing Lube and squirt it into the bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put the lid back on the rubbing alcohol and shake it for a minute or two. Then fill up a pump sprayer such as an old hair spray bottle that you have rinsed out. Set your cases out on a board standing up and spray them down from all sides. I let them dry and then start sizing them. The rubbing alcohol evaporates and the lube is left behind. I have found this method to work quite well and have had no problem with getting too much lube on. Always shake the bottle before you use it to mix the lube back into the rubbing alcohol.
The Imperial Sizing Wax also is a good case lube. I just wipe my finger across the lube and then apply a thin coat around the exterior of each case. After you use it a while you will learn how much is enough.
Always remove the case lube after you size as you shouldn't get it in your gun chamber.
Cary

Vance

Cary
Another way to use the Lee Lube is from a pump spray bottle. Purchase a pint of rubbing alcohol from the store. Take the tube of Lee Sizing Lube and squirt it into the bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put the lid back on the rubbing alcohol and shake it for a minute or two. Then fill up a pump sprayer such as an old hair spray bottle that you have rinsed out. Set your cases out on a board standing up and spray them down from all sides. I let them dry and then start sizing them. The rubbing alcohol evaporates and the lube is left behind. I have found this method to work quite well and have had no problem with getting too much lube on. Always shake the bottle before you use it to mix the lube back into the rubbing alcohol.
That is an awesome idea. I just happen to have a pint of 91% rubbing alcahol down in my shop. And a sprayer.

jimbob86

What little case lubing I do.....

..... I do like this: I thin the Lee lube 4:1 with water ..... rub onto case body and neck (not shoulder) with fingers and allow to dry...... size and trim/chamfer/deburr (w/ the Lee case length guage and cutter, and case lock stud chucked into a 3/8" drill) , and wrap the case in a rag and give it another spin to take the wax off ......

....that said, I usually use the Lee Collet neck sizing die, and use ground mica inside the neck as my only lube ...... works great.

hooligan1

This thread is simular to another: All these replies are okay but the very easiest way to do this simple task is to purchase a RCBS lube pad and case lube, and roll your brass, this method is the least messy,,,, and there is no lube on the neck,(which you never want) and just either pitch em in the tumbler for a few or, wipem off with a wet paper towel as RCBS caselube is water soluable.;)