Lube question

odugrad

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but I was thinking about switching lubes. I currently us Breakfree CLP and was thinking about going with SLIP2000.

Do I really need to clean all the old CLP off before applying the SLIP2000?

Also, is SLIP2000 is good as they say? I tried a little that came with a BCM rifle and it seemed pretty good.

marine6680

Slip 2k is compatible with most other lubes... But cleaning off the old stuff first won't hurt.

I did a little video on the stuff... Here... because I didn't see much info available, and none that was recent... That's an updated video due to some saying the audio was too low in the first, but I think the first is better other than that.

Spoiler... I like the stuff.

I've never found CLP to be lacking for any of my firearm lubrication needs. None of my firearms have had any failures or undue wear attributed to insufficient lubrication from CLP. I see no reason to change...

I'm sure the same can be said for other lubes that people use...

odugrad

The one advantage I've heard about SLIP2000 is that it stays in place. I've never had a problem or complaint about Breakfree CLP but have noticed that it runs.

marine6680

I have had breakfree clp to dry up and get gummy.

It does run, and not stay in place well either. Storing a rifle vertical in a safe for a few weeks leads to a dry rifle.

Slip 2k really is a good lube.

marine6680

The smell and toxicity of motor oil has kept me from it.

Slip 2k has little to no smell, is non-toxic, and cheap compared to other gun lubes. 16oz for $20 is a good price for a modern clp gun lube... Especially considering the performance of it.

I also really like the lubriplate food grade oil and grease. The oil is just a high quality standard oil... But the grease is the best I have used on a firearm... And it's about a 10th of the cost of "gun greases" at about $1 per fluid ounce... Vs $10 or more for the dedicated gun greases. You do have to buy it in 16oz cans, but that will last you years. I have seen smaller amounts sold online by resellers, but at a markup.

Slip 2k is my AR lube of choice though.

Last edited: