Lube Choice

What is your favorite lube?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fshfindr

Cast Boolet Lube Choice

What is your favorite (best) cast boolet lube?
1. 45,45,10
2. JPW by itself
3. Alox by itself
4. Alox plus mineral spirits
5. *Other

*Please explain Other in your reply;
*I should have explained that 45,45,10, is 45%Alox, 45%JPW and 10% min. spirits.
*JPW is Johnsons Paste Wax

I apologize for a poorly constructed pole.

Last edited:

fshfindr

I have used each method. The only one I have not tested yet is plain JPW. I have about 50 LSWC 38's that I have coated with just JPW. The other methods all prevented leading. I have high hopes for plain JPW since it is cheap and simple. Right now my range is a mud pit covered with about 12 inches of snow. I'm waiting to see which you prefer. I cast the first vote for JPW.

AllenJ

I've never used anything other than RCBS Case Lube. It has done a wonderful job so I figure why change.

Allen: These are bullet lubes for cast bullets.

That's what I get for waking up so early on a Sunday morning:eek:

Last edited:

noylj

Allen: These are bullet lubes for cast bullets.

All I have used for decades as been LLA. 45/45/10 sounds like an improvement and if/when I again cast a bunch of bullets I may try it.
I take about 500 bullets, lay them on sides in glass casserole dish, squirt a little "Z" on them, and shuffle them like dominoes and roll them. After 30-60 seconds I inspect for any bullets that are not shiny/wet looking and add a little more lube if I see any. In general, 500 bullets lubed in about 2 minutes.

FrankenMauser

BAC
Carnuba Red
Cheese Wax (seriously - with some added Bees Wax, it's essentially BAC without the X-Lox)

For low pressure loads, SPG lube is effective and easy to work with.

bedbugbilly

Had to list "other" as you didn't list my favorite. I use Alox/Paste Wax - that's it. Heat up the lead boolits, swirl 'em in it and I'm good to go. Don't have any problems with any of 'em. It's worked from the "get go" so no reason to change.

luis7

NRA type 40% alox and 60% bee wax, is perfect to flow in summer and a heat a bit in winter in my lyman 450 and LAM II. Cero leading in all calibers.

243winxb

Melting Temperatures.

http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/AppCharts~bullet-lube-melting-points
BulletLubeMeltingPoints.jpg
From Midwayusa. White Label Lube Temperatures - http://www.lsstuff.com/frequently-asked-questions
Melt Temperatures-

Lube working temp melt temp

50/50 room temp 162F

BAC room temp 162F

2500 room temp 162F

Carnauba Red 100F 162F

Commercial 160 105-130F 165F

Commercial 190 130-155F 190F

Jerry45

For rifle I use Dillon spray lube. For pistol brass I use carbide dies and don't bother lubing. I do tumble and polish the brass before sizing / de-priming.

Idaho Spud

White Label 2500 Plus. Use it for everything incl. cast rifle boolits. Doesn't need a heater (I have one), except on the coldest day, but stays in the grooves on the hottest. And it doesn't harden and fall out when it freezes.

Mike / Tx

About 50-50 45/45/10 and Carnuba Red.

I just ordered a couple of other sticks to try out, some of the 2500 and BAC. I also threw in for a jug of their 45/45/10 as well. Figured might as well get it while I was there.

For the most part I have used the 45/45/10 for loads up to 1600fps and a few just a tough higher in my 454 with complete satisfaction and little to no leading. I will be starting to play with a couple of rifle calibers soon and on those I think the others might do a better job. Not sure but just from what I have studied up on. We'll see in a month or so.