lube argument or battle of the sexes

monkeywithfire

believe it or not I'm argueing with my old lady about lubing her shotgun. please help.

is it correct or incorrect to lubricate the reciever, action bars, and bolt on her remington 1100 youth model 20 gauge?

the manual doesn't mention it so she says no. I say yes but lightly so as not to gum it up when it gets cold.

Which one of us is correct?
monkey

NIGHTWATCH

LUBE ALL. Dont drench but do lube. Metal rusts right? Ooops, there it is! ;)

PS- TW25B wont gum up and its sounds like a battle of the sexes.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
OgreDance.jpg

You guys need to work together in HARMONY.

dfm

No lube. If you must, put a drop or two on the slots in the receiver the slide rails run in. Other then that all you're doing is providing a place for dirt, grime, and residue to build up on. I still have the instructions from my first 1100,circa 1967, and it states no lube at all. The action is to "float on gas provided by the firing of the shell." I know it goes against the grain for two moving contact metal surfaces not to have some sort of lube between them. But I'd say that most all operating problems I've seen over the years with gas autos can be traced to over-lubing, unless the firearm was actually broken, 99% of the time.

dfm

Proshots

My .02 ... my 1100, circa 1981, gets cleaned and dried, then just a drop in each grove where the rails ride. 1000's of rounds, never a failure.

Gumbo

Lube any and all metal surfaces. Too much is as bad as none. Wipe everything down with an oiled cloth and wipe off the excess with a clean one. Your scattergun will love you for it.