LR-308 - does it just need a trigger mod?

What is holding the DPMS LR-308 back from being considered equal with the Armalite AR-10 or the Rock River LAR-8? Is it just the gawdawful trigger? would a nice timney drop in trigger bring it up to compete with the others? i realize it's not in the running with some of the higher end brands.

HiBC

My DPMS LR308L came with a very good trigger.Depends how much money you want to spend.I think the Rock River National Match 2 stage at about $120 is a pretty good buy.First choice would be a Gisselle Super Semi Advanced 2 stage.I like the 2 stages .Robust sear engagement,but a nice clean breaking,light second stage.

The Armalite AR-10 has a firing pin spring .It needs a strong hammer whack and not all AR-15 assys are up to it.The DPMS does not have this feature.
Brother's AR-10 began doubling on him with the original trigger so I loaned him a Rock River.It gave good results in the Armalite so I would have confidence it would work well in the DPMS.

As far as comparing the two rifles,Armalite vs DPMS?

I like my DPMS,works good,shoots fine.Less money.But,if you can afford the Armalite,you will get what you pay for.

An imperfect comparison,I understand a Philipine Rock Island Arsenal is supposed to be a decent ,useful 1911 for about $450.

A Springfield or Colt ,what,$800,$900+?Customs and top of the line 1911/s,lots more.

Better,yes.

A man with a Rock Island still is a man with a .45 1911,

geetarman

I have one and the first thing I did was replace the stock trigger with a Timney.

I never shot mine with the stock trigger. I also changed the stock pins with KNS anti-walk pins.

Geetarman:D

HiBC

Agreed on the anti-walk pins.I got the kind with c-clips,and they were too long.Had to shorten and recut c-clip grooves.New out of the box,first time to the range as factory assembled,the pins started walking out.

RC20

My DPMS LR308L came with a very good trigger.Depends how much money you want to spend.I think the Rock River National Match 2 stage at about $120 is a pretty good buy.First choice would be a Gisselle Super Semi Advanced 2 stage.I like the 2 stages .Robust sear engagement,but a nice clean breaking,light second stage.

My brother got the Gissele (unknown model) for his AR. When he tried my RRA ATH with the two stage chrome match he ordered one and took out the Gissele.

Not sure if the G is not setup right, a bad model or what. The RRA looks to be the best bang for the buck drop in without having to adjust anything.

Nicer trigger up past that but you pay for it. Nice RRA has that as part of their gun. When comparing guns its something to keep in mind.

globemaster3

I own an LR-308B. The stock trigger was what I would consider standard GI. The RRA 2 Stage I dropped in it was a big improvement. I find there's nothing else it needs for my uses.

Other goodies include a bipod, Warne rings, and a Nikon 3-9x40.

madcratebuilder

What is holding the DPMS LR-308 back from being considered equal with the Armalite AR-10

The two big things DPMS did to keep production cost down were to use a Extruded 6000 series aluminum upper vs a forged 7075 upper. Second is the AR15 carbine RE and shortened AR15 buffer, most others use a longer RE.

I've been able to shoot all the 7.62 AR platforms but KAC. All of them shoot very well and if in the same furniture I doubt anyone would know the difference between brands.

greentick

I put a Giesselle SSA in my 308 build and after over 2 decades of a stock GI or AR15 trigger it is a very noticable improvement.

velocette

I have a JP trigger in my LR 308B & it has been all that I could want. Clean, crisp, little or no overtravel & about 4#.
The rifle was ordered from DPMS with the JP trigger, adjustable gas block & cryo treated barrel.
In 6 years of ownership and over 2000 rds downrange, it has been totally reliable, no malfunctions of any kind, nothing has broken or failed. Accuracy is consistently sub MOA with decent ammo. It's favorite fodder is a Sierra 168 HPBT match bullet in Federal brass with 41 gr of IMR 4895. But it shoots Federal Power shok 150 gr WalMart special ammo @ $13.00 per box almost as well.

Roger

lmccrock

My LR308 had some add-ons when I got it. The trigger was horrible, and it now has a JP. It has not needed anti-walk pins. It does not need a firing pin spring; in fact, a firing pin spring makes it HARDER to set off primers.

I like my DPMS,works good,shoots fine.Less money.But,if you can afford the Armalite,you will get what you pay for.
Buying an LR308 is like buying a pickup truck. From base model to top-of-the-line there is a 3x price spread. So be sure to compare equivalent price range.

Oh, I think it is "Geissele". In case someone wants to find one. ;)

madcratebuilder

lmccrock said:
My LR308 had some add-ons when I got it. The trigger was horrible, and it now has a JP. It has not needed anti-walk pins. It does not need a firing pin spring; in fact, a firing pin spring makes it HARDER to set off primers.

With the increased weight of the 7.62 AR firing pin, a firing pin spring is a good safety addition. Greatly reduces the chances of slamfires.

Chamber a round on a 7.62 AR without the spring and you well see a pretty good dimple in the primer. I would not use Federal primers for loading for this kind of setup.