Lower Recommendations

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hey gang,
How's things?

With all the... well, you know... going on, I figured I better get to building that AR I've always had floating around in the back of my mind.

I've always sort of figured I'd go .204Ruger, but what with the 6mm ARC being so close to the .243Pfleuger of my own design, now I'm thinking maybe that....

but anyhow, the main criteria at the moment is IN STOCK status, which sure limits things.... but what is the collective wisdom on this starter?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-mft-battllink-moe-ept-pistol-lower-black.html

(I realize it's sold as a "pistol".... I don't care about that, easy enough to change and plus I can always turn it back to a pistol if I want)

Is this perceived as a decent price and quality for this kind of money?
What other recommendations do we have? (Let's keep it in a working man's budget, eh? :p)

taylorce1

IMO it's over priced. Of course I paid $72 ea for stripped Anderson lowers lowers a few months ago. I haven't decided what to do with one of them, but the first is a 7.5" .300 BLK pistol. Buying the parts to finish my pistol has me about $680. With optics and sights I'm over $1K.

Siggy-06

You should be able to find some lowers under $100 if you’re patient and shop around. I like the Aero Precision M4E1, Spikes Tactical, and Mega Arms. Fit and finish have always been excellent with those 3. I’ll check my usual online stores and post again if I see a in stock one for you.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hey Taylor, how you been old friend?

I should clarify, I'm not necessarily stuck on the 15 platform either. 6.5 Creed is also on my listed, or possibly other "10" platform choices.
I'm also not the least bit interested in an actual 223/556 AR. Whatever I buy/build will be ARC, or something else interesting.

Thanks for the input so far.

Regarding pricing, while I agree in principle, the prices from a few months ago aren't the standard anymore, it seems.
For instance, the Way Back Machine tells me that in Nov 2019, the PSA 6.5 Creed *entire rifle* was only $800 (MSRP $1079), and it is now over $1,100, with MSRP near $1,300.

This does seem overpriced, by comparison, as it was $219 back in August last year.
However, I can't buy it in August last year anymore, know what I mean? So what it is today is what it is.

I started adding up the prices of a full DIY build and I don't come up with cheaper. Sure, I *can* buy cheaper stuff... but when I start building my own it's like, "Well, that's a lot better and it's only $X more...." and pretty soon you've done that 10 times and the gun is $2,000.

And then I wonder, if I'm just going to "buy cheap" anyway, why not just buy a cheap gun?

Again, the primary concern here is "in stock", as a theoretical price of $75 does me no good if the entire AR platform is banned before I can buy it.

Last edited:

HWS

No guys, wrong. You should find ANY lower right now. Just try. They all out of stock. Just read their sites or try to order one. If you can find one, anywhere, any quality, buy it.

taylorce1

HWS said:
No guys, wrong. You should find ANY lower right now. Just try. They all out of stock. Just read their sites or try to order one. If you can find one, anywhere, any quality, buy it.

I'm not saying that the current situation for AR parts isn't difficult by any stretch. I'm saying use your Google-Fu, look at auction sites, and maybe visit a local shop or two. You're going to have to compromise on parts as well. I wanted to build a 10" pistol and have a 7.5", same with wanting a SBA3 brace and winding up with a blade. It isn't that I couldn't find them, they would have driven the price of my final build way beyond the budget I had set.

The main deciding factor for me was a BCG, they were/are in such short supply and I wasn't going to pay $300 just for a 5.56 BCG. So when I found a complete build kit with BCG for $609 delivered I jumped on it. I bought it on gunbroker.com of all places and had to wait about three weeks for it to be built, but like I said I'm still under $1,100 in the complete build for a .300 BLK pistol.

taylorce1

Brian Pfleuger said:
Hey Taylor, how you been old friend?

I'm running ragged with work, and trying to find time for the hobbies. How's the move been so far? I'm not as frequent here as I used to be, so I apologize if I'm a little slow on things.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
taylorce1 said:
I'm running ragged with work, and trying to find time for the hobbies. How's the move been so far? I'm not as frequent here as I used to be, so I apologize if I'm a little slow on things.

Yes... work is very inconvenient. I think I missed my calling, I was meant to be independently wealthy. :D

We are loving Colorado. The weather is generally fantastic. I also have no time for hobbies. I was just realizing the other day that my .243AI build is ~7 years old now and hasn't been fired in 5+. I changed professions and am working on finishing up my BS degree, so even less time that usual for fun.

This adulting thing is for the birds.

taylorce1

Brian Pfleuger said:
We are loving Colorado. 

Well that's good, presently my family is not.

Colorado is quickly becoming anti agriculture and 2A, my family has ranched and farmed CO for over 100 years and they are trying real hard to bite the hand that feeds at the capital. Lots of bad anti-2A stuff lined up as well. I don't know how much longer we can afford to stay with the attacks on our livelihood.