Lower Power .22 Hornet Loads?

MP-44

Can a .22 Hornet be loaded down to near .22 WMR levels and still be consistent and, depending on the rifle, accurate?

ligonierbill

I've not done it, but I don't see why not. A look at Quickload (sorry, not sharing numbers) indicates a slightly slower powder than my usual H110 or Lil' Gun will put you in 22 mag range with a moderately full case. Not sure why you would want to do that, though.

44 AMP

Staff
Not sure why you would want to do that, though.

Because if you have a need for a .22wmr level load (noise, is often cited) and you have a Hornet, it is cheaper to load down the Hornet than it is to buy .22WMR ammo.

And, once tool costs are paid for it gets even cheaper with cast bullets.

My old (1970) Lyman manual shows a cast 45gr bullet over 3.5gr Unique doing 1669fps from the test gun a 26" barrel Savage 219.

Its the starting load listed, along with 6gr 2400 (1635fps) and 7gr IMR 4227 (1727fps) for that bullet.

Isn't this the ballpark you're looking for??

Loading for the Hornet is finicky, painstaking work, becasue the brass is THIN and cases, bullets, powder charges are small, but other than that its straightforward and no different from any other bottleneck case. I do recommend either a very generous chamfer of the case mouth, OR using an expander die (Lyman M) to flare the case mouth SLIGHTLY. BT bullets are also helpful. Case neck brass is very thin, and very easily buckled,

I've never been a fan of the .22WMR, not due to its performance, which is respectable, but due to the fact that I've always felt it cost much more than it was worth. AND its not reloadable. Last time I bought .22WMR it was $6 a box (tells you how long ago that was, ;)) and it was more than 6x the cost of .22LR and NOT even close to 6x the performance.

I've never actually loaded down the Hornet, (no reason to for me) but I've always been pleased with the idea that I could, if I needed to.

Good Luck!

sourdough44

I’m deep into the Hornet now, but just using a mid charge of IMR-4227 powder. A nice gentleman gave me some 33 grain bullets he had no use for, using them.

I’d think one could use min listed charges & come down some.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

For mimicking the MRF, a faster powder running at a somewhat higher pressure will burn cleaner and produce more consistent velocity. I'd actually try standard small pistol primers and 231/HP38 or maybe Universal in the 3½ to 4.0-grain range. You might even make it to the bottom of the magnum velocity range with a 100% loading density charge of Trail Boss.

Geezerbiker

I found a load in an old book for a 45g bullet loaded in the hornet using Unique. I'll have to check my notes but I think the load was around 4g. If you look around there might be other low power loads for the Hornet.

Tony

Longshot4

22 Hornet loads from P.O. Ackley Hand book for shooters & Reloaders Volume 1. 9th. printing 1976. 45gr. bullet, 8 gr. of 2400 Vel. 2375. Note: the loads in this book are very old. Find the book and read about a lot of conditions that blow up.

Keep it simple. Go with a heavy bullet and that is it. Find a load with Trail Boss as Unclenick suggests.

My 22 K Hornet is a great round. Cases are just a little longer life.

Good luck

Scorch

I found a load in an old book for a 45g bullet loaded in the hornet using Unique.
I used to load 40 gr gas checked lead bullets over 5 gr of Unique. It was popgun quiet, literally just went POP! and was fairly accurate. I don't know the velocity, but the load was right out of the Lyman loading manual.