Lower Build Kit

Kevin_d77

This is my first AR and my first build as well. I purchased a PSA lower and LBK. I was looking online for a video to do this and there are a ton! Is there one in particular you would recommend? Also, what tools will I need to complete the build? Thanks for the help from a rifle noob!

Ibmikey

Kevin, Installing a lower parts kit is an easy project but for your first you should have experienced help looking over your shoulder. I say experienced because that person will have already chased the piviot pin detent throughout the house, scratched the receiver installing the mag catch or broken the receiver hammering on the trigger guard roll pin. I would suggest going on line (not u tube) as there are diagrams of the parts, steps to install and things not to do. Good luck and keep a flashlight and magnet handy. :)

Mobuck

I helped older Son assemble his first today. I told him it takes 15 minutes but it took closer to an hour by the time I answered all his and Grandson's questions and then we ended up swapping most of the parts into another lower when the first lower didn't fit the chosen upper as well as I liked. I was distracted and let that slip. I usually test fit with just the push pins before continuing further.

Quentin2

Some people say a lower takes 15, 30, 45 minutes, whatever. Don't worry how long it takes someone else to do it. Take as long as you want, it's not a race - the important thing is to do it right. I took over an hour on my first build but it ended up right the first time, mainly because I triple checked every step.

Watch a few good videos before you choose one. You'll get little tips from each video so remember them. Brownells videos are good plus you can print out their PDFs with the same instructions. It's handy to have it printed out as you do the lower.

As far as tools, I just used what I had in the garage. Nice to have specialized tools but not necessary for the lower.