Low recoil Ar-9 / CMMG banshee?

dyl

Up front: I’m not worried about painful unbearable recoil. What I’m after is a flat shooting AR-9. The CMMG Banshee has a radial / rotary delayed blowback mechanism which I think means the bolt rotates to unlock before any rearward travel occurs. Supposedly that decreases the muzzle rise and recoil impulse by taking some of that force and turning it into rotation rather than straight forwards-backwards motion. Or that BcG doesn’t move until the pressure has dropped.

Either way, can the equivalent recoil impulse be achieved through the usual suspects: muzzle brake, heavier buffer weight, heavier buffer springs? Anyone with experience with a CMMG Banshee? Thinking something along a 5-8 inch barrel

stagpanther

I've been very interested in CMMG's offerings in PCC's--they look fantastic on paper and really look forward to someone writing up a full report.

Even in a conventional blowback set-up the 9mm is a very soft-shooting AR, it is in fact my favorite set-up for casual walk-around freehand plinking; insanely fun. Whether any 9mm is flat shooting or not mostly depends on the cartridge and bullet used--I've approached 3000 fps with 65 gr inceptor handloads, even common 115 gr or 124 gr can be driven very fast.

My hunch is that a bolt lock-up like CMMG's design will also reduce case stress due to bolt thrust.

Last edited:

CarJunkieLS1

My brother has a cmmg in 45acp and it's the delayed blowback design. It's a very accurate and fast shooting pistol. At 50 yards and a red dot no can, or 2 liter bottle is safe. I may just have to buy me one someday.

stagpanther

Another great reason to have a 9mm AR--PSA has CCI 1000 count bulk packs on sale for $160--this is great stuff featuring Speer RNFMJ. I bought a box a few months ago thinking it would last me years--I've already chewed up about half of it.:D

bfoosh006

My 16" PSA Colt pattern 9mm benefited greatly with a ( carbine length buffer tube ) 7.5ish oz extended 9MM buffer and a Tubbs flatwire .308 recoil spring.
JP Enterprises even recommends a .308 recoil spring in a 9x19 blowback

Took the bark and blast right out of it... No more Linda Blair cycling, much more Winnie the Pooh.

A muzzle brake on the 16" barrel was a complete waste of money.. just not enough gas to make any meaningful difference... YMMV on a 8'ish barrel.

A little polishing on the feed ramps, and it runs great.

FWIW... velocities with factory ammo, can vary quite a bit, even within the bullet weight class...some of the photos are gone, but still a useful reference.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-712312/?page=1&anc=7429025#i7429025