low, mid, hi end 1911... worth the price?

EnoughGUN

I am looking for a 1911 platform to build a .460 rowland gun on. There are several options and wilson combat even builds a 460hunter readt to go for $4100! Question being for someone not using it in extreme conditions, combat or competition where the 10th 10th in performance could mean life/death or winning is a $4000 gun really four times better than a $1000 gun?

Hammerhead

Don't know about Wilson, but my $2,000 Les Baer .38 Super was a big disappointment. It was one from the new Iowa plant and it had many cosmetic and functional issues.

I have been more satisfied with 1911s in the $800-$1,000 range.

thedudeabides

It's easier/cheaper to build a 45 Super gun.

More parts are interchangeable.

But in reality you're hammering the hell out of any gun that you feed that ammo to... Unless you feel like you'd rather carry a 1911 to drop a Kodiak bear instead of a 454 revolver, there's no practical advantage to the hotter 460 and 45 Super aside from rapid component wear and wicked recoil.

Don't know about Wilson, but my $2,000 Les Baer .38 Super was a big disappointment. It was one from the new Iowa plant and it had many cosmetic and functional issues.

And did you happen to send it in for Les to have the chance to correct your concerns?

RickB

It's very similar to the car market. At a given price point, there are 1911s that are worth what's asked for them, but there are dimishing returns. Some people are happy to pay $4000 for a 1911 that's better than a $800 example, but everyone has to decide for themselves if the former is worth it. My most expensive 1911 cost about $1200, but I wouldn't trade it for many other guns, regardless of cost.

EnoughGUN said:
I am looking for a 1911 platform to build a .460 rowland gun on. There are several options and wilson combat even builds a 460hunter readt to go for $4100! Question being for someone not using it in extreme conditions, combat or competition where the 10th 10th in performance could mean life/death or winning is a $4000 gun really four times better than a $1000 gun?
There's your problem right there (see highlight above). You don't think converting a 1911 to .460 Rowland is an extreme condition. I suspect most people who have done the conversion or contemplated doing it would disagree.

Johnny Rowland is really nice guy. Call him up and ask him if he thinks it's a good idea to put one of his conversions on an entry-level pistol with an investment cast frame.

Pretty much any Colt is a solid candidate for this conversion, so you certainly don't have to drop $4k to get a .460. But you can't do it on pocket change and expect it to live very long.

Hammerhead

And did you happen to send it in for Les to have the chance to correct your concerns?
No, I did not. I'm sure they would have stood behind their product, but a friend gave me a good price for it.

But when you plunk down $2,000 and wait weeks for a 'semi-custom' gun and it has multiple issues with form, fit and function, my answer is yes, I was bitterly disappointed. It really soured me on the whole experience, I guess that's really why I sold it. I just didn't want a Les Baer anymore.

thedudeabides

I have been more satisfied with 1911s in the $800-$1,000 range.

...if you were legitimately disappointed they probably would have bent over backwards to help you out. Often it's Les who fields these kind of calls.

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind putting down 2k for a custom 1911, then not letting the manufacturer fix it.

No, I did not. I'm sure they would have stood behind their product, but a friend gave me a good price for it.

Your friend had no problems paying good money for a gun that you called a "big disappointment?"

ooh... kay...

The last time I declared a gun a total loss was a 300 dollar LCP. I'd probably put up more of a fight for 2000 dollars than just throwing in the towel or letting my friend pay a premium for a defective gun that has some shop time ahead for it.

EnoughGUN

Aguila, I am not considering an entry level pistol at least not a cheap one. There are several on the approved platform list that are reasonably priced. I am considering a sig platinum elite. What im saying is do you consider something like the $4000 wilson hunter to have performance or functionality worth two or three times more then other quality versions.

g.willikers

It's kind of like whether a $400K Super car is that much better than a Corvette.
For all practical purposes, for most people, probably not.
For the person who wants the very best, then it is.
When I was a regular match goer, a lot of the other participants had very expensive, custom made 1911s.
And I got to shoot most of them, just for fun.
They were impressive.
Superb fit and finish, beautiful to look at, they ran like they were on roller bearings and more accurate than anyone needed.
But I shot my old familiar clunk about as well.
Pride of ownership, and appreciation for fine machinery, were probably as important as the actual shooting for buying them.