Low flash powder in 45ACP?

George Helser

I am seeking a powder which will give very low flash in 45 ACP with 230 gr bullet at 850 fps.

So far I found:
- IMI ball ammo gives low flash.
- Herco powder (which has VERY low flash in 9x19) is 2x brighter than IMI in 45 ACP
- Power Pistol is 3x brighter than IMI

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Hemphill

I load 45 with WST and have found that with plated bullets there is almost no flash at indoor ranges. With cast bullets some sparks are visible, but they are not at all distracting. Bullseye also seems to be pretty good.
But I do have a question for others that have used WST. Have you noticed any undue temprature sensitvity? I chornied my loads with a 200 grain plated fp from West Coast at 865fps at about 75F. At 37f the velocity was 823fps. Is this much swing in velocity normal or is it extreme? I have never noticed this big a difference before, and this powdeder was from the same 8# keg and using the same batch of primers.

Watchman

AA #5

It was devoloped by the Isrealis and is sold here in the US.

It was specifically designed for low/no flash. Try it, you'll like it.

You'll see a big differnce on the range at night.

George Helser

MANY THANKS to all for the quick response! I did not know where to start looking for low flash powder. Now I have a shopping list that needs some
focusing.

Rob01
I just looked up WST in the Winchester documentation. It says it is good for 45 match applications. “It gives consistent clean, low flash, and low smoke.” (I find
their WW748 powder gives nil flash in .223 and .308 along with clean burning and low smoke. Maybe WW has solved these problems.)

WESHOOT2
The Winchester documentation says on 231 “consistency, low flash & clean burning”. Sounds like a good candidate to test.

Airborne
Thanks for the AA#5 suggestion. Who makes this powder? I will research it.

Hemphill
I will definitely test the WST.
I have seen a significant variation in MV with Winchester 748 ball powder in .223. High power loads that showed low pressure at 20F exhibited excessive pressure at 100F.
A past article highlights this characteristic and promotes Ramshot Extreme powders as having much less temp sensitivity.

ArmySon,
I have heard of the N320 but have no experience. I will investigate it.

jtduncan
Will have a look at Titegroup

Watchman
Do you think IMI ammo uses AA#5 in their 45 ACP ball ammo?

Again, thanks to all. I will post my results after testing.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Airborne

George,
AA is Accurate Arms http://www.accuratearms.com/ Not only is #5 low flash, it's also my first choice for loading .45's because I get very accurate and consistent loads using it. Not as clean as some, but not too dirty either.

I think a lot of military ball is loaded with it considering the abundance of it on the surplus powder market. I've yet to find an over the counter reloading supplier who doesn't carry it.

Hope this helps,
SM

Watchman

I like Accurate Arms powders for 3 reasons,
1. it is low flash, 2.it is very versatile ,3.it is very clean burning.

I used to have a pound of most other powders made. Now ,I use #5 for loading 9mm,.38,.357,.40,10mm,.44,.45LC,.45ACP..thse are target to medium loads, which is most of my shooting.

For heavy stuff and hunting loads, I use AA#9.

IF you like to shoot light cast bullet loads, AA#2 and #5 beat most powders .

AA#9 burns about the same rate as H110 or W296.
AA#5 burns about like Unique.

you can access their website for further details.

George Helser

Airborne & Watchman,

Thanks, I went to the Accurate website. I will buy some Accurate #5 & WST tomorrow.
However I am going out of town and will not get a chance to test for a few weeks. I am
looking forward to see the results. If I do not get IMI or better flash performance I will try
some of the other powders listed here.

Thanks to all!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

George Helser

I returned this week from a business trip so I am back on this project.

I loaded some 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ with 8.3 gr of Accurate #5 for chronographing
and night flash testing.

I also bought a pound of WST but in checking the loading data today, I was
surprised this powder cannot meet the lowly spec of 850 FPS for military ball
ammo. I guess this powder is popular for target shooting.

I am looking forward to testing the AA#5 ammo and trying other powders if this
one does not give the low flash I am looking for.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Gewehr98

WST

George, I went to WST for my .45 ACP IPSC Major loads when we failed to make the chronograph tests while attending a match in Reno, NV. Turned out the 231 loads we were using, while making Major in Sacramento, fell off enough due to the temperature and altitude change to fail the test in Reno. Hence the move to WST, it still changes a bit due to temperature, but not enough to have to worry about being reclassified to the Minor class competitors. The neat thing was, after shooting about 16 pounds of 231, we were used to a certain amount of crud in the chambers and actions of our 1911's, and with the changeover to WST, things were a lot cleaner. Now this is with a Hensley & Gibbs No68 200gr SWC for Limited Class, and their lighter 155gr SWC out of a compensated race gun, I've never tried it behind the 230gr hardball...

WESHOOT2

45ACP / 200g LSWC (OAL = 1.255") or 230g FMJ (OAL = 1.260")/ W231.

Easy-metering, very low flash, clean burning, and uniform velocity/pressure under extreme temperature swings (tested). The 'correct' 45ACP powder (but NOT for +P).

George Helser

I found 8.1 grs of Accurate #5 matched the velocity I get from IMI 45 ACP 230 gr ball ammo. I fired some last night and compared the flash to other ammo.
(Note my testing is by eyeball which is more for relative than absolute measurements.)

Compared to IMI ammo:
> AA#5 had about 2x larger flash but dark (orange)like IMI
> Herco had about 2-3x larger flash but dark(orange)like IMI
> Power Pistol had about 3x larger flash but it was a brilliant white!

So, A#5 is the best powder I have seen so far for flash in this load.

The Vihtavouri N320 powder was not stocked by my usual reloading shop nor at the Phoenix gun show last weekend but I will keep looking and try it in hope of getting lower
muzzle flash. Then on to the next powder.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

leapfrog

While I agree that 231 may be the best 45 powder for standard velocity loads, AA#5 has an advantage. You can load all the way from target to +P with it.

Troy

http://www.vihtavuori.fi/vihtavuori/pistol/45acp.htm

VihtaVuori powders are expensive, but for most applications they are top-'o-the-line. Looking at this table, though, you will find that N340 is a better choice for .45ACP than N320. N340 will give you higher velocity at max pressure, or less pressure while still meeting your velocity threshold.

As mentioned, it is CLEAN, has very low flash, and accurate.

-Troy