Low Budget Self Defense Ammo -- Geco Red Zone 9mm -- Part1

Mr.RevolverGuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEWcpDK1Oc&t=783s

Are you putting yourself or your family at risk by carrying low budget 9mm self defense ammunition? I went on a search for the most economical 9mm I could find locally. I know there may be better prices online but I wanted to see what local shops may be stocking.

I would eventually come across a box of Geco Red Zone which is literally half the price of some of the more popular brands like Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot.

The Chronograph and Gel doesn't lie.

Being to lazy and disappointed at my screw up's I did not move the camera and shot the 22lr at 7 yards

sigarms228

Each to their own but I find I can buy Federal HST in 50 round boxes at same price online as local stores selling their budget brand SD ammo per round. For me considering what I spend on my firearm and ammo and time to practice, it just does not make sense to skimp on SD ammo. Over penetration may also be less of a risk with high quality SD ammo.

OhioGuy

Good review, and good knowledge to have. As the last guy said, I can find 50 round boxes of Federal HST online at the same prices you'll pay for those pretty little jewel boxes they sell on store shelves with only 20 rounds. (And have you tried to open one of those damn things???)

I shoot a lot. I rarely shoot carry ammo. I'll run a box on a brand new gun to verify it feeds, and I'll shoot it off yearly if it's been carried routinely. I don't actually carry as much as I wish I could (thanks, work sites that won't even allow it to be left in the car :mad:) and so I don't have to shoot up the carry ammo very often either, really.

Anyways, if I can save 2 cents per round on training ammo, I'm all over it because those savings add up fast. I shoot a lot of ball ammo. If i can save 50 cents per round on carry ammo, I'm probably less inclined to care much because I use so little of it, esp. if it's a brand I know very little about.

I dunno -- all varieties of HST constantly score among the best of all brands in almost every test done over the last few years, tons of LE departments carry and train with HST, and I can get them in 50 round boxes at a modest price. I suppose if I found Speer, Winchester or Hornady suddenly at lower prices I might switch to it -- some day when I've shot off the small stash I already have -- but for now it's hard to see a reason not to stick with HST.

Although -- if someone trains regularly with JHP ammo as many seem to do -- then this brand you've found here would be a real value for sure. And I guess if someone trains with this and finds it reliable, no reason not to carry it.

Either way man I like your videos, keep it up! And revolvers are cool :cool:

jar

My most common carry pistol will be a 32acp or 380 and so I will almost always choose ball over hollow points. Geco is one brand where I've had very good results, fairly clean, consistent, accurate and not a single failure to fire yet. I place it right up with S&B and Fiocchi.