Low Budget Reloading

jdscholer

There is a thread that has been started by a fella that wants to start loading without breaking the bank, and I thought I'd start another titled more to that effect.

I happen to be assembling a low-budget and beginner-safe outfit for a buddy, consisting of odds and ends that I have acquired over the years. I'll bet that most of us who have been in the hobby for awhile have drawers full of this stuff that we really don't need, and could see new life as starter equipment for a beginner.

The heart of this outfit is an old Lyman Spartan press that I got at a yard sale for 5 or 10 bucks. Presses like this or similar are pretty common at gun shows and flea markets for ---cheap.

I rummaged around through my dies, and found enough to piece together a complete set of 38 special, which can also be used for 357.

Now it got tough. Since I didn't have a scale and powder measure that I wanted to cut loose of, I made a scoop-type measure that is good for one load only of the powder which I am also including in the kit. This might seem hoakey to some of ya, but it will get him in business until he can afford a scale and measure. If he wants to try a different load of powder, we'll make another scoop at the time.

He'll be getting cast bullets from me for I haven't decided how much yet, and I'm giving him back about 500 38 special brass that he originally shot and gave to me.

To finish things out, I tossed in a powder funnel, a loading block, and a half used can of One Shot case lube. I'm also supplying his first hundred primers and my old Lyman #45 Reloading Manual.

All told, I doubt that I have thirty bucks invested in everything. It's all stuff that I no longer need, and it all fits into a 12 quart motor oil box. If my buddy decides that he is a reloader, that's great. If he decides he isn't, that's fine too and nobody went broke to find out.:) jd

Don P

We all should have buddies like you. I my self passed on a complete reloading set up because at the time I had no interest in reloading. I keep kicking myself so it doesn't stop hurting so I don't forget how stupid that idea was to pass up.

jdscholer

There is oodles of decent, used equipment laying around at gun shows, yard sales, and peoples garages. The key for the beginner is knowing just what you need for what you want to do. not everyone needs to start out with a progressive outfit or "new in box" equipment. You do however need to start with a good book, and if possible a good mentor. If you're in this forum, you have some mentors, but if anything sounds to squirrelly GO TO YOUR BOOK!

Remember, the guy that buys the top o the line, everything included kit, still won't have everything he needs or will eventually want. I think it's important to get your foot in the door and start learning, and there is a lot to be said for keeping it simple. jd

northsouth59

Starter Kit

I started reloading about a year and a half ago. I didnt have a buddy like you. however the guy that helped me with what to buy, as money was there, really kept me out of trouble buying the wrong items and that prob. saved me quite a bit of money. It sure is nice to have someone that can lend a hand to a guy, even if its just good advice.

Ted

Jdscholer,

I think what you are doing is great. I wish I had a friend like you to walk me through this stuff when I first started. I bought everything and it probably took me a year from the time I bought it all to the time I actually fired my first reloaded round. It took so long because I had to convince myself that I wasn't going to blow myself up. If I had a friend that could mentor me I probably would have done it alot sooner. I actually am in a similar situation you are in and have a friend that spent this afternoon with me and we went through all of the steps of realoading then went to the range and shot our freshly reloaded ammo. I suspect I will be assisting him in getting a beginer set. What did you use to make your scoops out of?

Thanks,
Si vis pacem, para bellum

oneounceload

Hopefully, after all you did for your buddy, he'll have the bucks for a decent balance beam scale, and a new up-to-date reloading manual - it's the least he can do after all you've done....good job.....

jdscholer

What did you use to make your scoops out of?

The scoop for his load is made from a 380 ACP case. For a handle I wrapped and tightly twisted a piece of mechanics wire around it at the groove between rim and case. I then ground the case shorter until it holds 4 gr. of Green Dot when rounded. Crude - maybe. Safe and effective - absolutely.

With a little practice, a guy gets good consistency. I picked a mid-range load that allows for .2 gr. +/- without any problems.

The bullets I used are 158 gr. SWC, that I cast with my new Lee tumble-lube mold.- unsized and lubed with Alox. CCI 500 primers, and mixed 38 Spec. cases.

If you're interested, or even if ya aren't,:rolleyes: I took a bunch of these shells out with my 686 to see what they would do.

My first group at 25 yds measured 3" edge to edge. I went back and tried even harder and that group was exactly 3" again. I figure that isn't too bad for 38's from my 357, and unsized bullets. The load is very mild, about 800 fps, but plenty good for a start.

We'll be loading more this weekend, and my pard will have a chance to load and shoot some in his own guns.:) jd

Big-O-2

Powder Measure

Hey, I started loading last year and I started on a single stage for $125 with dies. I have now got a freind at work into loading and he needed a good easy way to measure powder for 308. The Lee Powder dippers are a good fit for measuring powder and low cost. I think he paid $9.00 for the set and it come with chart for different powders. Myself I use a simple scale that came with my kit. And scales are all over the web, don't forget jewelry scales can do grains too. I am loading Plinking 30-06 ammo for $0.34 a wack, that's less then $7.00 a box of 20. I have already paid for my equipment in savings!!!

David

jdscholer

At our local gun show, which happens twice a year, there is a guy who has everything you would need at pretty fair prices, such as--
RCBS Uniflow Powder Measures-$40-$50
Beam Scales-$35-$50
Die Sets-$20 often new
Presses $50-$100

If you watch yard sales you can find this stuff for about half of those prices if you're lucky. There's plenty of tricks for keeping it cheap and simple, for the guy who isn't loading competition bench rest ammo.

Don't forget, the first reloaders were doing this stuff by the light of the campfire with just what they could pack in their saddlebags. Probably more than one of them casted bullets from the same skillet that he cooked his bacon in:eek:;) jd

farmall

I did the same thing for a guy, only I traded him for a broken gun. I must say my motivation was partly to trade as cheaply as possible. I also needed to idiot proof this as much as possible.
I assembled the following:
1 used Lee Loader in 38 special
1/2 can Trailboss Powder
200 old W-W primers
250 Lee t/l homecast bullets.
1 homemade powder scoop to throw a start level charge
I figure I had about $20 in this setup, and the guy couldnt be happier. He did upgrade to an autoprime though!
I ended up with a FEG Hi Power clone that needed an extractor!