Love in the Desert...

larryf1952

A few months back, I was in the mood for a new 1911. I wanted something a little perkier than the plethora of basic Mil-Spec offerings on the market today, and I already own an older Springfield 1911A1, so the SA Mil-Spec wasn't really an option, anyway. I like extended beavertails, thumb safeties and Commander style hammers, so I was looking for something along the lines of a Kimber Custom Stainless II. But, I already own an older Kimber and a S&W1911, and I didn't want to dump upwards of $800 into a new 1911. So what to do...

I looked at the Remington R1, but I was left a bit cold on that one, and, being another Mil-Spec gun, we weren't exactly exchanging pheromones, if you know what I mean. :( It's tough wanting to spend some money, but having nowhere to dump it. :mad: Then, I found the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911G. :D

When I first picked it up, my eyes fell to the size of the package that was displayed on the left side of the slide. OH MY GAWD! That's a huge...rollmark! Then, as the intitial surprise of that sight faded, my eyes turned to other parts of the gun, as one would hopefully expect. Wow, this thing has a really nice fit and finish, I mused. Hmmm...nice beavertail, extended thumb safety, Commander style hammer, Kimber style fixed sights, skeletonized trigger, and a GREAT, crisp trigger pull! But, what about that BIG rollmark? :rolleyes:

I decided that everybody has a pimple or an unattractive mole here and there (at least, I hope I'm not the ONLY one), so the rollmark was of no concern to me. The gun was enough of a beauty everywhere else that I ordered one. $635 and it was mine. We're still infatuated with each other, and she continues to woo me with each outing. She doesn't seem to care about my gray hair, or my middle aged gut. She likes my 185 grain JHP handloads like they're a coconut cream pie, and she throws 'em to POA with a 6:00 hold. She's not argued with me once in over 300 rounds, out of the box.

She's a sexy girl, and we're gonna get along just fine. I tried to find another place to put an extra smilie, but I believe in being subtle...

IMG_2850.jpg

Tuzo

Greatest ode to a firearm I have ever read! Love letter from the shooting range. Only consideration: the rollmark is to a 1911 as a tatoo is to some people - love it or not love it.

A well mannered 1911 is an extension of the shooter's inner beauty. Love my Kimber.

The DE 1911 is made for MRI by Bul Transmark in Israel. It is the pistol that was supposed to be the new Charles Daly.

Please post a range report when you have shot it.

larryf1952

The DE 1911 is made for MRI by Bul Transmark in Israel. It is the pistol that was supposed to be the new Charles Daly.

Please post a range report when you have shot it.
Aguila, you are correct. The DE1911 is made by BUL of Israel. From what I know about BUL, they've been building 1911's and 1911 components for quite some time. I've heard that a number of high end guns use their frames, but I can't verify that. In any case, the gun appears to be well made, and is as clean on the inside as it is on the outside.

I've put 300 rounds through the gun so far, all of them on an indoor range. I shoot my own handloads...185 grain JHP's over 6.3 grains of 231. So far, I've not experienced a failure to feed, extract or eject in those 300 rounds. The thing that I like most about this gun is the trigger. It breaks crisp and clean at about 4.5 pounds, maybe a little less. It feels every bit as good as my Kimber and S&W1911 triggers. The only complaint that I might have is that the sights are black, and I'd have preferred a 3 dot arrangement. They tend to disappear in dim range lighting. But, I've got some sight paint, so I'll soon remedy that situation.

Accuracy is also excellent. I've included a pic of a 20 yard target, and the gun appears to shoot to POA with a slight 6:00 hold. The thumb safety engages with a smooth, solid click, but is not hard to activate. My Smith 1911 feels a bit mushy in this regard, and doesn't seem to have the positive travel that the DE has.

I've heard the stories about the deal between BUL and Charles Daly that allegedly went sour, but those issues are not for me to decide. I don't...or didn't...work for either firm, so I have no dog in that fight. I merely chose what I felt to be the best gun for the money at the time that I was shopping. I'm completely happy and have no regrets! Every other DE1911 owner that I've talked with either in person or online has had equally positive experiences.

20 shots @ 20 yards, standing offhand...

IMG_2858.jpg