Love at first grip...

Cyanide971

Evening everybody, hope this finds y'all doing well. We always tend to have some very interesting topics on here so here's one I have not seen before and figured I would throw it out there for discussion. I am thinking it will be pretty interesting to say the least!

What three pistols of either current or past ownership, whether semi-automatic or revolver, felt perfect in your hand the very first time you ever held one?

For me, and in no order of precedence:
• Steyr C9-A1
• CZ P-07
• CZ 100

oldcabin

When at the range I went through all the 9mm I could find to do comparisons. The PPS looked like something I'd make with Legos. I figured I'd try it anyway.
I knew right away.
You read sometimes about how you'll find the right fit and how it will " just feel right". I didn't buy it at the time. I took awhile to make my decision, and every time I picked it up - once a month or just stopping by Cabelas, I knew it fit. I bought eventually. It has been 100% so far. It might have gotten uglier with time.

skizzums

Full Size: in order
Jericho 941

cz 75 compact

EAA 9mm 3.6 polymer 12 round witness

tangfolio 10mm

pocket: in order
believe me or not, Taurus pt111 G2

Sig P250 sub-compact

CZ Rami

chris in va

CZ P01, the later version with the rubber baseplate. I actually skipped getting one in 2002 because the metal baseplate hit my little finger, otherwise I would have bought one. Got the 75bd instead.

Cirdan

1. Beretta PX4 - 9mm, full sized
  2. Ruger SR1911 Commander (Stainless Steel)
  3. Colt/Umarez/Walther 1911 22

Strangely enough, I'm not a big 1911 fan.

Perfect size and grip for me is my Sig Sauer 1911 CCO Sport 13. My next purchase will be a CZ 75 Compact, I like the grip and feel but don't expect it to beat out the Sig. Lastly love my Glocks but not for the grip.

SaxonPig

S&W M39 and Walther P38. Very similar designs and I wonder if S&W was inspired by the P38? Maybe that's why they called it the 39, one step beyond the 38? No other handgun feels perfect in my hand.

camsdaddy

After shooting Gen 3 Glocks the day I held a Gen 4 19 I knew I had to have one and have been thankful since day one.

aarondhgraham

Beretta, Bersa, and S&W,,,

The first time I picked up a S&W square-butt K-frame,,,
I had no idea just how well it fit my hand.

It wasn't until I started handling Rugers (all varieties) and N/L-frame S&W's,,,
That I realized how perfect it sits in my hand,,,
The skinny (Magna?) grips,,,
Not the target grips.

In a LGS several years back and a semi-shiny little semi caught my eye,,,
It was a Bersa Thunder 380 in their brushed nickel finish,,,
I hefted the pistol and immediately fell in love.

It just settled into every curve in my hand,,,
Within a month I owned the .380 and the .22 versions.

Then there was that very expensive day that I picked up a Beretta 85BB,,,
Like the Bersa before it, that pistol just snuggled into my hand,,,
Holding that Italian beauty was just like,,,
Well I can't say in open forum. ;)

Needless to say you should realize that I have smallish hands,,,
But the proof is in the shooting and these guns fit me,,,
I believe the fit is what makes me shoot accurately.

I hit better with these three guns than any others I own,,,
When I say that I mean my accuracy is acceptable,,,
And the consistency of that accuracy is very high.

I've always known that with persistence and practice,,,
A person can learn to shoot an ill fitting gun.

My question for that is, Why?

Buy a gun that fits your hand,,,
Consistent accuracy just follows naturally.

Aarond

Last edited:

RickB

I'm definitely a fan of guns with a long-oval grip shape. I don't know if that's what is "natural", or because I started shooting 1911s when I was young, but that shape gives the best indication of the gun's orientation in the hand, unlike most modern hi-cap guns which have frames that are more square in section.
I just got a "new" S&W 539, an all-metal, single stack 9mm, and it has the same long-oval shape, and feels very comfortable and easy to point.
Some guns that are often described as pointing naturally, or like an extension of your hand - Lugers and Peacemakers, specifically - feel very strange in my hand.

pilpens

1. 1911 - it is not perfect but has the best compromise on what makes a pistol feel good in my hand.
2. Rossi snub nose with factory rubber grips; Do not know the model number but it was shiny 5 shot 38 special.
3. Beretta PX4 type C - but I have only held it a couple of times at the LGS.

I do not own a Rossi or a Beretta but after holding them, I wanted one. If based on feel alone, I would have bought a Rossi and a Beretta PX4 C.

lee n. field

What three pistols of either current or past ownership, whether semi-automatic or revolver, felt perfect in your hand the very first time you ever held one?

What three?

Ruger Mark II Target. I took about an 18 year detour from when I first picked one up, and thought "this is perfect", until I finally got one. Still regret not grabbing that first one.

Springfield XD.

S&W Model 19 sits very well in the hand, but with Pachmayr Gripper grip. The factory wood grips always felt weird to me.

(All that said, the Mark II and the Model 19 have ended up seldom shot, for some reason.)

j357

Order of preference:

Colt Detective Special that I found unloaded in a box in the house at a tender young age of about 8 yo. I knew enough about guns to check and know it was unloaded. That will always be my favorite.

Colt King Cobra 4" that my Dad gave me back in 1988.

S&W Mod 28-2 6" that I bought in 2009 for $400 bucks while looking for a K38 Masterpiece to shoot the blue off of.

I have sold one handgun in my life and can say I was happy to see it leave. All the rest still bring a smile to my face, even the Grendel P10 that I still own.

rep1954

Colt 1851 Navy in it's original form. Uberti makes a good reproduction but others for some reason don't understand what reproduction means. Rugers new XR3 that they put on their current mid size frame Blackhawks is a even tie with the Colt. I like the plastic panels that Ruger supply's with the frame.