Louder report .22wmr or .32 H&R Mag

Mikeyboy

Ok I'm still on the "I want a .32 H&R magnum, but I will not take the plunge" kick. I just get nervous with the ammo availability of the .32 magnum. Another option I was checking out is a .22 magnum revolver. Sure it has less weight and diameter than the .32 mag but it has great FPS and penetration numbers, reminding me of a poor mans FiveSeven. Most of all the .22 magnum is more readly available than the .32 magnum and can be bought almost anywhere ammo is sold.

However in doing some research on the net, I'm reading the .22 magnum is LOUD and has a lot of flash. Heck my old H&R .32 long had a bright muzzle flash, (unfortunately I don't trust it enough to use in a SD situation) what I'm worried about is the BANG. This is going to be my wife's "go to" handgun in an emergency. My wife hates shooting my .38 revolvers even in light target loads. She rarely goes shooting, gets flinchy and is recoil sensetive. She currently has a Taurus 94 .22lr revolver, but I want to give her something with a little more stopping power so I'm looking at either a .32 H&R Magnum or a .22 Magnum snub nose revolver.

Since a loud report is just as bad as recoil for a flincher, which one is louder the .22 magnum or the .32 H&R Magnum

skeeter1

I've never tried a .32 Magnum, but I can tell you my .22 Magnum derringer makes one whopper of a bang and muzzle flash. Maybe in a 4"-barreled Smith (650/651) or something like that, it wouldn't be too bad, but out of the derringer (3" barrel, but that includes the chamber -- in reality it's about a 2" barrel) it certainly isn't something that I'd recommend to a newbie.

sne7777

I have both the 22 Mag & the 32 Mag. They are Ruger New Model Single Sixes. There is more flash from the 22 than the 32. Recoil is not an issue both have 9.5 inch barrels.
For SD the Ruger SP101 comes in 32 H&R Mag. This is a good pistol in 32 Mag, I have read that law enforcement officers are using thm as a backup gun. This would be a fine choice for the wife or someone who does not like the recoil of a 38. (IMP). Factory ammo is hard to find and expensive when you do.
I handload mine, the dies and componets cost more than those of the 38, but still alot cheaper than the factory ammo.
You may able able to rent one at your local range.

ammo.crafter

.22 mag v .32 mag

My .22 mag over/under High Standard in a wallet holster is extremely loud. But I want it to be. Scares the heck out nasty people with bad intentions.

A weaon for your wife, eh? Well, is it recoil or noise that bothers her? My wife's go to gun is a .45 auto and she's a very petit woman. My daughter's go to is a 12 ga pump. She also is very petit.
It is so very important that your wife is comfortable with her go to weapon. A good .22 auto that she can shoot accurately is much better than a waepon she is afraid of and cannot shoot well.

She must wear very good ear protection...that in and by itself, will ease her fear.
Think .22 auto, my friend. Good luck!

leopard1

.22 WMR Not That Bad (To Me)

I guess I'm becoming the .22 Mag apologist on this forum, but I don't find the noise or flash to be disconcerting, and I've owned about every handgun chambered in .22 WMR, from North American Arms mini revolvers to Hi Standard derringers to J frames and Tauri 941s. However, the noise and flash were problems for others on this forum. Handgun selection is a very personal decision, and what works for one person may not work for someone else. Anyone interested in .22 WMRs should first shoot a few rounds with loaner or rental guns, and see if the ammunition and handgun combinations are right for them. Winchester ammunition seems to have the least noise and flash; CCI seems to have the most. I have shared my .22 WMRs with several new female shooters at the local range, and they preferred them over J-frame .38s and 9 MMs.

Ammunition is readily available, and solid point bullets achieve good penetration with some handguns, producing a good chance of hitting a vital organ. Experiment with different grips, ammunition and sighting pictures. Some .22 WMR handguns that are, at first, difficult to shoot accurately can become real "keepers" with a couple of minor changes. The .22 WMR was designed for rifles. When shooting them out of a small handgun, you have to experiment a little bit to get the best performance. Have fun!

FirstFreedom

I can attest that a revo in .22 magnum makes a heck of a surprisingly large/sharp bang - cannot recommend it for that reason.

Mikeyboy, it sounds like you are blaming the gun for your wife's problems when either can be made to accommodate if y'all are flexible.

Because of a the lack of seal between the cylinder and forcing cone, revolvers tend to be loud and sound escapes right there and is not being projected away from the shooter so much as what is projected down the barrel. Effectively, you could get a larger caliber with a muzzle brake in a semi-auto for the same amount of noise and flash.

Or, you could simply move to something like a 9mm semi auto in something like a Glock (since your wife apparently likes revolvers which don't have manual safeties). My arthritic mom is approaching 70 and is a Glock 26 fan. It will be quieter than the .22 mag (for the shooter) and the semi-auto aspect will help with absorbing recoil. Plus you get the benefit of a larger caliber. Additionally, you don't get a lot of muzzle flash with it.

ammo.crafter is right. Your wife has to be comfortable with what she is shooting or she wont' shoot it or won't be able to shoot it well because she won't practice with it.

Do note that in a self defense situation, your wife likely won't have time for hearing protection. Whatever gun she fires at that time will be very loud, be it a .22 lr, .22 mag, 9mm, 38 spl. etc.