lots of Pocket pistol mags

dyl

I've just discovered something I wish I'd tried sooner.

I always used to wonder: why would I need a whole bunch of mags if I'm going to keep them empty (unless it's an HD or carry gun) ? 2-3 is good enough.

I've been sitting on something like 4 empty magazines for my pocket pistol. 6 round Kahr mags. I used to only bring 2 empty mags to the range. I thought, "hey that's reasonable, I get to practice a mag change, and then I go reload, my buddy gets a moment with no noise"

But recently I brought all the empty mags I owned with me to the range, loaded them up all at once, brought them all up the firing line, and I feel like I've progressed a lot faster practicing recoil control. Turns out stopping to refill a mag after 6 rounds really eats up your time! And you sort of keep "the feel" of things if there are less interruptions. MagLula really helps save time too.

The old timey argument in me springs up "well if you have fewer shots you'll make them count" but until a few years ago all I'd done is shoot slow. It was time to see how the other half lives.

Anyways, just something I found that I really enjoyed. All you pocket pistol shooters, get yourself a few mags. It really saves time.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If I'm going to be shooting a match, I typically load all the mags that I will require to complete the match ahead of time. I want to focus on shooting during the match.

During training/practice or recreational shooting, I typically load at the range, but I do take along a UPLULA to make it easier. That said, it does make sense to load mags in advance if you are doing a serious training session. It helps keep you focused, and if you have hand strength issues or other issues that affect your ability to use your hands for long periods, it's a good idea to be able to expend your allotted effort for the training session actually doing training instead of wasting effort reloading mags.

Even for more informal sessions, I do try to take a lot of mags to the range because I want to make sure that all of them get some occasional use/testing. Finding problems at the range during practice/training/plinking is preferable to other ways problems can be discovered.

I tend to keep a significant number of mags on hand for any pistol that has an intended practical use. Range toys may only have a few mags, but if a gun is a self-defense/carry gun I make sure I have a "lifetime supply" of mags for it. You never know when someone may come along and make it illegal to buy more.

USNRet93

I have 5 per handgun and keep them loaded all the time..cuz, zombies, ya know..no time to reload, PLUS
-reloading at range no fun PLUS
-using them makes sure they all work, when ya want to grab one to load with your defensive ammo....