Lost one of my prized .22's - SAD DAY!!

erob3

Well Murphy finally caught up with me. Over the weekend I was shooting at a friend's private property with some other fellow shooters, it was very nice. We had several targets set up practicing rapid fire, Bullseye and even a slow version of "quick draw".

As usual I brought several of my prized .22's along; S&W 41, High Standard and a couple of Rugers. As the day progressed we grilled some burgers and dogs, enjoying the quiet break while eating on a picnic table my buddy has set up along a stream on his property. That's when the trouble began. One of the guys I didn't know as well as the others started mouthing off about his shooting skills, "I can hit this target this many times, I can shoot that target in this amount of time". And so on. I sat there listening finding myself becoming more angry as this guy kept on and on and on. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and I cooly looked at him and said "if you shoot like you run your mouth I'll bet you are good". Needless to say that didn't go over well at all. Me normally being a quiet individual everyone grew silent when I said what I did, hoping that would be the end of it. I really can't say what it was myself, I don't know if it was my own confidence in my abilities, the beers I had or what. But enough was enough.

Too make a long story short after an exchange of small insults and barbs the challenge was made; A "shoot-off" to determine who actually was the best. For the winner, the choice of one of the pistols the other person had. The bet was on. I gulped down the last of my 4th beer and we began. Needless to say you know the outcome. I can't figure out what was wrong with my aim!!! :eek: Sadly he chose my S&W 41.

I haven't been able to tell my wife yet but the guys at work are going to give me huge grief. They know I go shooting almost every weekend and it's going to be hard facing them. I don't believe it will be as hard though as you telling your "buds" you made it this far in this little story!! :D

Last edited:

redhologram

I agree with the others. My first thought was drinking and guns :eek:
Not a smart thing..
Wait a minute..... your last line just sank in along with my morning coffee..
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rifleman1952

Never mix alcohol with firearms. I once drank a couple of beers while cleaning a rifle. The next day, I thought to check my work and found it to be the worst cleaning of a firearm, I had ever done. Never again.

psyfly

Never, repeat; never mix alcohol and gambling!

I came too close once to ending up with two mothers-in-law:eek:.

As luck would have it, he gave me another chance and we ended up (almost) even. I have to take his every other weekend and on New Year's Eve.

I'll trade you one of my .22s if you'll take her off my hands.

erob3

I'm glad most were able to see the humor. Yep---April Fools. But I'm sure most knew that. When you smile it's just like a mini vacation. :)