Lost another Kennedy

Destructo6

JFK JR's plane has gone missing enroute to Martha's Vineyard. Although I'll not shed a tear for any lost Kennedy, JFK Jr seemed to be somewhat of a break from the standard Kennedy mold. He seemed apolitical or even, perhaps opposed to what the Kennedy clan has stood for many years. I particularly liked his critique of his cousin's fling with the baby sitter.

Should we, in fact, mourn his passing (if he's truly gone, of course)?

Personally, I have some degree of respect for the guy. He's was kept out of the Kennedy "child camps" by his mother. He kept "George" fairly balanced. He was able to laugh at himself.
I hope for his safe return, but have real reservations about any pilot's ability to successfully ditch a private plane at sea at night.
Rich

DC

Moderator Emeritus
(Thinking back a few months ago)...or even over land, eh Rich? ;)

(giggle)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Kodiac

OUCH!

DC...

That was below the belt!

ROTFLMAO
:D

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

DC...
I saw that post! ;)
Difference between my case and this one: I put the blame where it belonged...pilot error and thinking with the wrong head.
Rich

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From various news comments, he was a low-time, VFR pilot, who apparently flew into an IFR situation. (Bob Arnett on one of the networks said it was hazy/foggy around Martha's Vineyard, a common summertime situation.) It's real easy for that to be a one-time event.

45King

92% of all crashes are due to pilot error...
No instrument rating, new plane, night flight, foot in a cast...sounds like terminal brain fade to me. ICHTM syndrome strikes again. (It Can't Happen To ME)

He shoulda been flying a Cessna 310; a solid, forgiving, twin-engine 4 place. I've flown one, a Piper Aztec, a Cessna 421 (with full avionics, no less), a Mitsubishi MU2, a DC3, a Cessna 152, and a Piper Colt. Liked the 310 best of all, although the 421 was pretty good for long haul flights with lots of luggage, and the MU2, being a turbo, was a real speed demon (especially in a climb.) Hmmm, could this be the start of a "What kind of plane do you fly" thread?

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

King-
MU2, huh. I looked at those for a while. *Real* bad safety record with those spoilerons....and I was never able to ascertain if it was pure pilot error (repeatably) or just too much plane for single pilot. Input requested.

The 310? Now there's an unforgiving plane. Especially during engine out on climb ops.

For my money: Beech Baron in twins. Short of turboprops, it's the bomb. Cessna 210 in singles: fast little guy and "if you can fit it, you can fly it"; virtually indifferent to weight and balance issues.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited July 18, 1999).]

45King

Rich,
I can't say that much about the MU2, I only flew it once. Dad & I were considering buying one, and we took it up with a pilot who was checked out on it. We liked its speed, but it didn't have enough luggage capacity to suit our needs. I've been away from flying for a long time, and hadn't heard about the MU2 problems. Glad we didn't get it; we ended up with the 421 instead.
The 310 was very easy to fly, I thought, but then I never had an engine go out, either. It was an oldie but goodie, built in '55 (a very good year, as far as I'm concerned, 'cause that was the year of MY "construction".)

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

longhair

well, the only thing i'm flying is my jeep, or ford pickup. i like it down here on the ground just fine thank you :)

------------------
what me worry?

That's a good point about flying. Lest we forget, a human body was not meant to travel faster than a running horse. To do otherwise, would result in disintegration of the body. So said those who cautioned against experimentation with the steam locomotive. Lesson: man wasn't mean to fly, yet alone speed along in a train, autocar or otherwise motorised contrivance.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Jim V

4V50 Gary, I know what you are talking about. Man was not intended to travel that fast, it must be true because I keep finding the driver that follows those rules. "If it's faster than a horse, it's too fast for me. And the horse better be a plug."

:D :D

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited July 18, 1999).]