loose/slop in gas tube on sks - is there a fix?

2002gti

i just received 2 SKS's from century and on both of them the gas tubes are loose and sloppy. is there a way to take out the slop? im wondering if it will cause a malfunction due to escaping gasses.

Toney

Have read on this site about guys using a paperclip between the tube and valve, most stuff will blow out.

might not blow piston hard enough to fully cycle the bolt.

mine was'nt and i swapped the mainspring with one out of a chinese and it worked. i ended up clipping around 3" off the yugo spring.

I still think weak ammo is a big problem, yugo ammo was supposed to be hot according to surplus rifles. my rifle worked with some ammo before i cut the spring.

Toney

Got my C&R last week!!!! bought a t38 with intack mum today

2002gti

its a yugo m59 and romanian, how do i know if theres a gas valve or not? ive pulled the gas tubes for inspection but didnt know what to look for.

expeditionx

Yugo m59 and romanian dont have the gas valve likethe yugo M59/66 does.
If it did you would also probably see a grenade launching sight attached to the front sight block.
Here is a link to a picture of a 59/66 notice the grenade launching attachment on the muzzle.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html
To fix any gaps between the tube and the gas port coming out of the rifle.
Make sure the connecting surfaces are flush against each other.
If their flush but a gap exists because tube length, then, you can add a shim to the side of the tube contacting the rear sight block.
Or, you can buy a new gas tube from Tapco
http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=SKS6632&back=yes&dept=178&last=9
These are made to sks specs.
The yugo 59 sks's were shot with corrosive ammo (brass cased yugo ammo)
in the former yugoslavian military. Your yugo might have a corroded gas tube end near the gas port. Some of them have really bad corroded gas systems.
The yugos don't have the chrome lined barrel or gas port that you may have seen on other sks's like some of the chinese ones.
Zastava the company that has made the yugos and still makes them, has a new marketing agreement with remington to sell new rifles soon.
Hopefully, remington will also sell new sks rifles.