loose screws on my Smiths

stevieboy

I've got a couple of Smith & Wessons (686 6", 625 5") that I purchased new within the last 18 months. Both are great guns, extremely accurate, nice triggers. But they have a common problem. After I shoot each of them for 50 - 100 rounds, the screws on the side plate and the cylinder release latch start to back out. I hand tighten them each time I clean, and so far, that works fine. I mentioned this to my range manager and he suggested I put a small amount of loc-tite on each screw in order to hold it in place. I've not done that because I'm concerned that I might have difficulty removing the screws when I need to and also I don't know whether doing this would void the warranty.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And, what about using a little loc-tite to keep things in place?

PzGren

When I tighten them hard, they stay in place but you need a well fitting screwdriver for it. Blue Loctite will do the job and should not affect the geenerous S&W warranty.
To unscrew it afterwards should not be a problem but heating the screws ( with the tip of a soldering iron ) will make removal even easier.

Scattergun Bob

loose screws on S&W

Steve,

Boy has this been a problem on stainless frames, I have used a small amount of black nail polish to gunk up the threads on sight screws, side plate screws, and strain screws. This seems to work and still allows for disassembly. If you are suffering loose screws please check the forward sight screw, this seems to be the worst of them all. Also as an added pleasure you get very interesting looks from the counter lady when you ask for your own bottle of black nail polish.

Best of luck and be safe.

Last edited:
There's a type of Loctite (purple?) that is designed for screws that have to be removed occasionally.

Nail polish also works well.

One thing you need to do is flush the screw holes and screws with brake cleaner to get all oil/grease out of them.

Tom2

I got a set of screwdriver blades from Brownells that are specifically made for S&W revolvers. I later purchased a larger set of the same type inserts and handle to cover other guns, and added these original 3. But I would not be without the basic 3 blades for Smith. You will never bugger a screw if you use them correctly and it will not even make it noticeable that the screws have been out since factory. A must have. Unless you have the tool skills to grind blades to a perfect fit for the gun.

stevieboy

Thanks all!

I have a set of Smith & Wesson screwdrivers that seem to work really well. I'm ordering some Uncle Mike's Gun-tite from Midway. That should do the trick!

44 AMP

Staff
Recommend Gun-Tite!!!!!!!

It is made by Loctite. It works well, and the screws can be removed with a proper fitting screwdriver with no problem.

DO NOT use just any Loctite product!!!!! No matter who tells you what color to use (red, blue, green, purple, etc.), don't do it. Loctite makes dozens (or so it seems) of products, with all kinds of intended application, including several PERMANENT ones. Unless you know for certain that well meant advice is correct (by checking directly with Loctite) you can get into a situation you don't want.

Gun-tite is made for guns, by the Loctite folks, so rather than use an industrial sealant that may or may not be right for guns (where the screws have to come out) use something made by the professionals just for gun screws. I use it, it works. It is cheap, a small tube does lots of screws. get some, use it. You won't be sorry. Use some other Loctite product and you might be sorry. Paint and nail polish are ok, and do work. Just be careful how much you use.