Loose Rounds, PPS 100gr .45ACP MMC in Clear Ballistics Gel.

5pins

QjGajpdl.jpg

I bought this ammo in the late 80’s from a gun shop in Fayetteville, NC while stationed at Ft Bragg. It came in a bag of 5 or 6 and cost about $15 IIRC. Back then the rage in self-defense ammo was lightweight, high velocity, and rapid expansion/ fragmentation. Companies like Cor-Bon and Glaser made all the press in the popular magazines of the day. This round was made by a company called Personal Protection Systems and it promised high velocity of around 1600fps with expansion up to .80 inches and penetration of 6 to 8 inches! Wow, have times changed.

This round is a .45 ACP with a solid copper hollow point loaded on a nickel plated Remington case. The hollow point is covered with a polymer tip to aid in feeding and weighed 100 grains. When I shot this round it hit at a velocity of 1340fps and penetrated 9.5 inches. Recovered diameter was .60 inches. The plastic tip was not found and my guess is that it disintegrated on impact. Not very impressive and easily surpassed by what’s available today.

jfruser

"I still have some Glasser Safety slugs still lying around."

Me, too. They are probably 15+ years old.

I think the movie "Manhunter" gave them a big bump, along with the .44spl revolver.

stephen426

Mag Safe is another round that was of the same school of thought: low weight, high velocity, and limited penetration. Seems like the more digging I do, the more the whole Straussberg Goat Experiment seems made up. The logic behind them makes sense since Energy = Mass x Velocity Squared. Also limited penetration in solid objects made sense to avoid over penetration (unless shooting through windshields). In the end, great marketing with "untested" products. I mainly carry JHP that of the +P variety.

JERRYS.

these "gimmick" rounds while often misrepresented in the movies, were designed to do just what they do, dump all their energy on target with minimal chance of over penetration or ricochet harm... like in a controlled environment such as a bailiff courtroom (not court house) security, sky marshals.....