Loose rear swivel stud M1 garand

akinswi

I recently recieved a RMS expert that was built by the CMP. It has a new stock and the rear swivel stud is loose and it rattles.

Do I just tighten the screw in the butt plate or do i need to take the butt plate off and see if anything else is going on?

My 1953 HR M1 with its original stock, the rear swivel stud is solid. I like to get my other M1s the same way

Thanks

bamaranger

stud or shackle?

I think the correct term for the point where a sling attaches to the butt of the M1 rifle is "rear sling shackle". A swivel stud is commonly seen on sporting rifles and is essentially a streamlined threaded post with a hole crossways, to take a detachable sling swivel. Okay, a bit of speech Gestapo, but hey, right is right.......'course I could be wrong too.

Is the screw on the butt plate tight, for that is indeed what anchors the shackle? Could be your out of thread on the screw. Or the new stock is not quite spec, or a combination of same. If so, you might be able to shim the back side of the shackle with a small washer. Or you might try a different screw. DON'T epoxy the shackle, for if it doesn't tighten up, you might never get it out, or the butt plate off ever again!

bamaranger

self correction

I've checked two parts lists for the Garand.........both refer to the part in question as a SWIVEL, ......so I stand corrected.......self corrected.