Loose Dovetail

Qtiphky

Just got back from shooting my Walther PPK/s and noticed that I was not hitting as good as usual. Then I noticed that my rear dovetail sight was loose and I was able to take it right out by just sliding it to the right. Anybody ever have this problem and what is the solution? Do I need to send it back in to have it aligned or can I use loctite or should I buy adjustable sights and replace?

Pahoo

Constantine + 1

This time and perhaps because it is a PPK/S, I would protect it's value by having it repaired by a pro. I have repaired various dovetails and there are quite a number of ways to do so, all depending on the situation. Given that and if it were mine, I would not touch it. Loose dovetails are very common. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Archie

Pretty simple, really.

Should you decide to fix it yourself and not spend the time waiting for shipping to factory and back...

Remove slide from pistol. Place on hard surface, but protect bottom of slide.

Remove rear sight from dovetail.

Take small to medium center punch and small hammer and centerpunch the interior bottom of the dovetail. You just want to raise up a couple pimples, not open up the firing pin channel.

Using brass or nylon drift and small hammer, replace rear sight in dovetail. Sight should enter from right side to left. Center the sight, check for regulation. (Take drift and small hammer to range next time for final adjustment.)

The pin punch marks will not be visible from the outside with the sight installed. (At the risk of being a twit, keep that in mind when doing the procedure and things will be fairly obvious.)

g.willikers

The punch and dimple technique works really well.
But if you would hesitate to do that, and the sight is still a fairly snug fit in the slide, the stronger versions of loctite should hold it.
Especially the black loctite, or the more commonly available red version.

AK103K

The punch and dimple technique works really well.
Ive done this a number of times, and it has worked very well.

Ive also used LocTite on a couple that were "loose", but did not just drop out, or were very easily pushed out, and it too worked well. Ive also used it in combination with the dimpling.

I wouldnt try and hammer on the "angled" parts of the dovetail unless for some reason it was absolutely necessary. The flat part of the triangle is where the adjustments are made, be it the sight itself, or the gun. Messing with any of the "sides" is generally asking for trouble, especially on the gun itself.