loose arbor

44 Dave

Arbor Project.jpg
Here are pictures of an arbor separated from a frame, for those who wondered how things were together.
My Pietta Open Top had a slight wiggle in the arbor.After experimenting with CA glue, which I am sure never had a chance to get in to where it needed to be. I decided to remove the arbor. This may not be a project for the weak of heart. The lock pin was soft and easy to drill out with a definite change when getting down to the hard arbor. (I have done some aircraft rivet work so this is not much different from removing rivets)
Am thinking of using Loctite now as the looseness was very slight. I am just kind of that way about having things"perfect"!

45 Dragoon

Nice pics Dave! Gotta think with the locktite or JB or whatever you use (since the hole is already there), threading a set screw would add a LOT of locking surface between the frame and arbor . . . . . just saying . . . . you know . . . . . perfection and all . . . . . . probably a little anal too . . . . just saying . . . . . oh, already said that . . . . well, you get the picture . . . .would never get loose again . . . . .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

45 Dragoon

Hawgs right if you want "normal" perfect. I would assemble barrel and frame and cylinder (since you've fixed the arbor already) and drill next closest size for set screw, tap it, clean it , locktite it , forget it! (All while assembled).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

44 Dave

It is back together and shooting.
I cleaned the parts, and made a new lock pin from a 6d finish nail. I made it to "press fit" and scored it where it would be bottomed out. The original pin drilled out so nice I figured I could not improve on it. I then applied permanent Loctite screwed it together, barrel and cylinder, then disassembled drove the pin, snapped it off, flattened the pin with pin punch then reassembled the barrel and cylinder to let it cure.
I did not want to tap for a set screw because the arbor is very hard and the frame is a lot softer also if it ever loosens again I would have to try to get a setscrew out.

cheatin charlie

Dave I had the same problem with one of my cowboy pistols and did the same
repair you did. The only thing maybe different was while Red Loctite was still
uncured I put barrel on and inserted wedge so threads were pulled forward
so there was no clearance. I did repair several years ago and arbor has not
come loose since.