Looks like there may be trouble looming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandg

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/...d-name-of-suspect-released-joplin-police-ois/

A man was shot to death by police the other day because he appeared to have a violent psychotic attack and attacked two police officers who were called. He lived in a very nice neighborhood, in a very nice house.

Both officers had body cams. According to the reports, both officers tazed him after grappling with him, and he shook it off and attacked again. One officer was somehow injured, prompting his partner to fire multiple shots to stop.

I'm wondering. The report said that he was biking, and that means that he was mobile. I live about six blocks away, directly down that street. Less than a week ago, police were canvassing the neighborhood because of reports that "a guy is somewhere around hear screaming, yelling, causing a commotion". I shouldn't quote the officer because I can't remember his exact words.

If the body cams and post mortem support the claims I think that these two officers will certainly be cleared. If we find out that he was the one who has been reported as causing trouble around here, that will help.

Regardless of any of those facts, even if proven, those two cops are still in danger of losing everything. We've seen it happen before. I'm really glad that it happened up there, because there are a whole lot of people around my place that would have thought about getting involved in trying to help him out when he first went nuts. I probably even would have gone and offered help.

Mainah

I'm sorry about all of this. I know from experience that when it happens close to home it hits harder. Sounds like a guy in decent shape with a history of mental issues created a conflict with the police.

I appreciate that it's your neighborhood, but if there's a record of reporting his aggressive behavior and the police can justify their actions with body cameras I wouldn't worry too much about them. They should have unions and other resources to back them up.

briandg

New information. My wife was doing a deep search while at work earlier and found out a few things.

Yes, he has schizophrenia, and he has a strong history of drug abuse. He recently was convicted as a persistent offender of DWI. Several years ago, we found out that he ran a long vehicle pursuit, IIRC it was well over a mile and ended with his car upside down in a parking lot. He ran a stop light at a store that has a huge trench across the entrance and he went airborne, much like seen on TV. Sentenced to:

Text: DOC, 3 YEARS, SES, 5 YEARS SUPERVISED PROBATION. DFT TO SERVE 30 DAYS SHOCK TIME

Back during the earlier part of the decade he was under guardian ship, an odd thing for a 31 year old. He was released from guardianship in 2012.

So we have a persistent offender, but not apparently a violent one. He appears to have a consistent drug habit and a consistent pattern of crazy behavior, such as running from police.

I don't know how this could be turned against the police at this point, but god knows. It has already gone national news, and who knows what advocates might be stirred up? He was a seriously mentally ill, unarmed man who was killed during a brawl.

Here's the most recent report.

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/lo...cle_0b0fa421-6071-55b5-83df-711ab8b89dc2.html

Here's a bit of his criminal report. Search David T Ingle

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/nameSearch.do

The worst part of this all is that once again, a police officer has taken a life, and he and his family are going to bear the full weight of the usual consequences. PTSD, work and home disruption, and whatever else comes their way. Our police are a good crew. It's a sad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.