Looks like I've got an excuse to buy that Single Stage press now...

DEDON45

I've been successfully loading pistol ammo (.44 Magnum and .45ACP) on my Hornady LnL AP press for a month or so now, no complaints (some of you have helped me figure out some of the minor issues I've encountered thus far, thanks for that). I decided to see if I could load some .30-30 up on this press, had the #2 shellplate for it, a set of RCBS dies a buddy gave me (older set, but he didn't have a rifle to go with it, and I've got two), IMR 3031 powder, and a box of 170 grain flat point hornady .30 bullets...

Well, just running the case through the case-activated powder drop resulted in the necks of the cases crimping inward... and there's not that much pressure being applied. I noted in my Hornady reloading book, and the Speer book, that they mention that the necks on these are quite thin... and the couple of powder cuts that happen is enough to crimp the case (that's my theory). The powder charge is dead-on, though. I've seen other folks load .223, etc. on these, so I'm thinking this is strictly a function of the thinner .30-30 case necks..

So, as I see it, I'm going to have to manually charge the powder in these... also seems like I have to go real slow, as I have to hold the bullet on the neck (even when I don't crush the necks in the powder station) all the way up to the die...

Do any of you guys load .30-30 on a progressive press? If so, how's that workin' out for you? I'm thinking I'll just pick up the Hornady 'O' frame press (since I'm already setup with bushings) so I'll only be wasting (for now) the #2 shellplate I bought. I also guess I might get another powder measure too. I was thinking of getting a single stage anyway when I start to reload for my .300 Weatherby (I haven't bought the dies or anything else for that yet).

Ralph Allen

Check out your local pawnshops. I've bought a Redding and an RCBS Rock Chucker at these. You can never have too much reloading equipment. I load 30-30 on a single stage press as these are not volume shooters. You should be able to load 50 same load rounds per hour on a single stage.
Ralph

Because the thin neck of a .30-30 is an issue when your powder measure cuts a grain, the first thought I have, short of buying new equipment, is to try a ball powder like 748 or 2520. With that heavy bullet they will burn just fine, and it won't cause any grain cutting in the powder measure.

You could do a lot worse than to get one of the Lee Classic Cast presses. They are cast from scrap railway rails, and are pretty tough compared even to the cast iron presses. I just got one with the excuse that I have a few thousand bullets to pull from military ball to sub the better Hornady FMJ's into, and the big rigid press makes that easier.

BigJakeJ1s

You could use a Lyman M-type expander die after you dump powder to open the case neck back up before you seat the bullet.

Andy