Looking to get an AR, Advice needed.

gadgetguy1288

Im looking to get an AR, nothing fancy, just always wanted one to customize, i would prefer to not spend a fortune, but rather save some money and spend it on customizing, any advice is appreciated.

chadwick76

this seems to be a common ques. there are so many good ones out there, that i have a hard time any knocking of them. however, everyone thinks colt is the cadillac of ar-15/m-16's and it truly isn't these days ( plus not all parts are interchangeable0! i own a pre 1970 and love it, it was my first in a long love for the rifle. i am currently building a rock river arms ar-15 because of all of the advice i have followed. it's not a cadi, but it is a great lincoln! lol the bad news is, that everyone is doing what we are right now, so everything for an ar is at a premium. remember, most lower receivers are the same, and you probably won't go wrong with too many of them..

indybrad

Thier wait times right know are 2- 4 months, maybe even longer. You might be able to find one from a dealer or local gun shop, but it'll cost more. Everybody is backlogged like crazy.

AMX

gadgetguy1288- Did you know that it's a kit you're looking at there? You still need the lower. If I were you I'd get the one in your link with the chrome lining.

vranasaurus

I just ordered that very kit to put together with a lower receiver I bought locally.

You just need to find a stripped lower which you have to go through an FFL for.

You can use any stripped lower with that kit. RRA, Stag, DPMS, double star, etc... You just have to look around and see what's available. I would look locally for a stripped lower and if none are available or the price is outrageous then order one online and have it shipped to your FFL.

You can save some money if you order the kit from a dealer and not direct from RRA. All dealers advertise the MSRP for the stuff but are allowed to, and often do sell below that. rbprecision.com and ar15sales.com are popular among the AR15 crowd.

Now I will tell you that you might be able to order a complete rifle for less than you would spend on a stripped lower plus the kit. You will likely have to wait for stuff either way.

ThreeStepsAhead

Alright Coastie, here's some disappointment headed for your location...

you're going to pay a fortune. I would say it's safe that $1000 is not too far off the beaten path for what a new rifle is going for.