looking to get a semi-autoloading shotgun.

rem870hunter

it has to be a remington. its a toss up between the model 1100 in 3" mag. and the 11-87 supermag. i plan on having a vent rib barrel and a slug barrel too. possibly a smoothbore and a fully rifled. it will be used for deer, bear and maybe turkey hunting . all high brass loads only. no targets. has anyone used either of these? how did they perform and did they have any ammunition problems?

island66

I would personally go with something in the 3" mag as opposed to the super mag...accessory barrels will be MUCH easier to find, reliability should be improved, and you won't have to deal with the excessive and unecessary recoil of 3 1/2" mags. With today's premium ammo and IF YOU CAN SHOOT, there's nothing you can do with a 3.5" shell that you can't do with a 3". Good luck. Let us know what you end up with!

Jason

BigJimP

There is nothing wrong with either gun you're looking at - like other responses, I think a gun that will shoot 3" shells is plenty / but if you want a gun that has the option for 3 1/2" shells go with that.

I'm assuming you realize you can shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells in a gun chambered in 3" - or that you can shoot 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" shells in a gun chambered in 3 1/2". So bottom line is buy the gun you want / and the one that fits you the best. You didn't ask about fit - but shotguns do not come in one size fits all - there are a lot of different dimension issues on shotguns - so you need to know which one of them fits you the best ( so it hits where you look / and it doesn't beat the daylights out of you).