Looking to buy my first single action revolver

glockopop

First of all, I'm way, way into double action S&W revolvers. I've only ever shot one single action revolver once, it was a .22 and it was a very long time ago. I've pretty much got all the guns I need for USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, and carry, so now I'm looking at guns I want. I'll probably get a .45 Colt as that caliber to me is synonymous with single action sixguns and I do reload nearly all my ammo. I'll pretty much just use it for plinking. I may eventually get into CAS shooting, but if I do it'll be a ways down the road.

Here's what I'm looking at, and the pros and cons:

Ruger Blackhawk: I like the idea of adjustable sights, even though I like the look of fixed sights better. I like that I can stoke it with anything from the lightest bunny poots to the hottest of the hot loads, but at the same time I don't particularly like shooting super hot loads so I probably wouldn't. This seems to be the most versatile choice, but I'm not sure I really need all that versatility.

Uberti Cattleman: What I like about this is the price. If it's just gonna be for plinking with fairly light loads, why not just get the least expensive thing you can find that'll fill the bill? Knowing me, however, I'll eventually end up trading it at a loss if I find something I like better or feel like is better built.

Taurus Gaucho: Again, price. CDNN has 7.5" ones for $250 right now, and that's attractive, but I'm not sure I love the loooooong barrel.

With all of the above, I'm not sure I like how the standard gripframe feels in my hand. I have to get a low grip for the hammer spur to not touch the back of my shooting hand, and it feels awkward compared to getting the highest grip I can for the double action speed shooting that I'm used to. The following are ones with different grip frames:

Ruger Bisley: I don't much like the feel of traditional Bisley frames, but the Ruger style Bisley feels good. It feels more natural to me in the hand than a standard grip frame. The downside is that the standard, readily available Bisley is only available in a 7.5" barrel, which I'm not sure I love. Shorter Bisleys and Bisley Vaqueros are around, but they are harder to find and generally cost significantly more than standard catalog models.

Uberti/Navy Arms/Taylors Schofield: I handled one of these, and it felt better and more natural in my hand than anything else. I like that it's different, and the Jesse James cache is pretty cool, too. However, they are significantly more expensive than anything else on my list, and I'm not sure that it's worth it. I can probably learn to like something else just as much.

So, what's the input of the collective? Is there anything I missed that I should consider? Sorry for my longwindedness, but I figured more info would be better than less.

aarondhgraham

Get non adjustable sights for CAS shooting,,,

Revolvers like the Ruger Blackhawk that have adjustable sights will put you in a different category of competition in SASS,,,
I forget the name of it but almost all of the shooters use standard fixed sights.

Ruger Vaquero (in some variation) is by far the most common pistol you will see at any CAS event,,,

Before you drop any money into a SA Cowboy Gun,,,
Go to a SASS shoot and the people there will let you handle as many different makes and models as there are shooters.

http://www.sassnet.com/

In other words,,,
Don't buy until you see the many different offerings that are out there.

I personally use a Dakota (an Italian import) and a J.P. Sauer (German Import) for SASS,,,
I take a lot of good natured teasing about my foreign guns,,,
But they always go bang and are very accurate,,,

My point is that you don't have to have the ultimate fieryarm to have fun in CAS,,,

Aarond

carguychris

I'll pretty much just use it for plinking. I may eventually get into CAS shooting, but if I do it'll be a ways down the road.
IMHO the question really boils down to this- do I want a Cowboy Gun?

To put it another way, do I want a gun that can shoot to POA with a variety of loads and has nice big sights? If this is the case, I'm with Hard Ball- Ruger Blackhawk.

If I'm willing to let accuracy suffer a little in favor of more Cool Factor (TM), then Cowboy Gun it shall be.
Uberti/Navy Arms/Taylors Schofield: I handled one of these, and it felt better and more natural in my hand than anything else. I like that it's different, and the Jesse James cache is pretty cool, too. However, they are significantly more expensive than anything else on my list, and I'm not sure that it's worth it. I can probably learn to like something else just as much.
Mandatory disclaimer: I do not own a Schofield / S&W Model No.3 replica, nor have I ever shot one.

That said, the main problem* with the Schofield's top-break design is the same as it was in the 19th century: all the gun's recoil is transmitted through the cylinder latch and, to a lesser extent, the hinge. This will make it shoot loose and suffer from declining accuracy. This can be mitigated by using light loads, but that may not be your cup of tea, and the gun is eventually going to shoot loose regardless.

*The second problem with the top-break design in a 19th-century context was that it made a lousy hammer for pummelling your enemies and/or hammering tent stakes. If you want to use the revolver for either of these things, I don't want to hear about it. ;)

niel4

You can get a Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk (357 or 44 Mag) from CDNN for $359. I got the 357 ...its a great shooter...my first SA.

Cheaper to shoot than a 45 Colt but then again, it's not a 45 colt.......

bcarver

vaquero

get a ruger in the finish and barrel length you like best.
I like the stainless in 4 5/8''.
the blued and color cased look nicer and the loger barrels shoot better.

gak

You seem to be leaning "cowboy," future CAS or not. So it then comes down to budget and action feel. The better Italians (polished blue, stainless or nickel Ubertis, Uberti/Berettas, and Piettas--imported my a number of distributors) and the Ruger New Vaquero are an approximate wash in cost (+/-). So, it's a matter if whether you want the "safe with six" transfer bar'd but different feel of the New Vaquero, versus the traditional four-click "snick snick..." action of the Colt-inspired imports (or the more expensive USFAs).

It's true that the Beretta has a bar as wellan and they're pretty popular--and that's another possibility as a compromise--though many feel Ruger's experience trumps the Beretta's in that department. Taurus, also transfer-bar'd, seems to be out of the SA world for all intents and purposes (thus great prices) so I'd stay away from the example you cited. Check out the recently intro'd New Vaquero Bisley for that style. The NV is fine--as good as the Colt and its clones--if you don't plan on hot .45s (just like the Colts, etc), and can take virtually any .357 load.

The blued/case hardened USFA SAA's are pricier than the Ruger or Italian choices, but they're US made and the quality can't be beat--the same or better than the Colts for a few hundred less. Beware that it is possible to spend more on the USFA special models than the regular production Colt, but the apples-to-apples models can mean significant savings over the $1100-1350 Colts.

Last but not least, stick with 4-3/4 (4-5/8 for Ruger) or 5.5" for your first SA. Either length for the .45, and consider the shorter for the .357 for weight/balance (those 7 smaller holes add up to a fair amount of remnant metal, so every little bit (less) of metal helps). The 5.5" will provide a longer (better for many) sight radius, but on the smaller bores the lighter weight of the shorter barrel'd guns may win that desision, and the handiness of the 4+ barrel (or especially the 3-3/4" Ruger NV Montado) makes these pretty popular for overall packin' revolvers.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

Would it kill ya?

If you are buying new, buy the one that's made in USA. If it's used the consequences of where it's made have already happened so it perhaps doesn't matter so much. The best value for your dollars will be a used stainless Vaquero in .44 magnum or .45 colt. Another excellent choice is the Superblackhawk or Blackhawk. Consider the Blackhawk .45 Convertible. If you get a .45 you should expect to have to ream the cylinder throats. My choice was the original Vaquero stainless .45 Colt with 4-5/8" barrel. I prefer its fixed sights but it is neccesary to file the sight to the appropriate height for the bullet weight of choice. If you don't want to be limited in bullet weight get the Blackhawk

rclark

If you are buying new, buy the one that's made in USA.
Agree...

I don't particularly like shooting super hot loads so I probably wouldn't.
Then any .45 Colt revolver will do...

My choose then would be: Vaquero, New Vaquero, USFA, or a Blackhawk. As opposed to above poster ... I prefer blued guns or case colored :) . Just looks soooo much purrrrrtier :) and wear in nicely over time.

riggins_83

For serious shooting go with the Ruger Blackhawk.

+1 for that. The Ruger Blackhawk is a great hog leg. I trust that or my Redhawk when in the woods.

I'm partial to 44 magnum. I can use standard FMJs, hot loads (such as Corbon BCSP), or 44 special if I really want to plink.

Big Bill

If you're thinking of shooting Cowboy Action, then you need the Vaquero 45. The Vaquero is built to resemble the original Colt. It is manufactured by Ruger specifically for Cowboy Action shooters. Aaron is right. If you go a Blackhawk and want to do CAS, you will be in a different category.

5106.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/models.html

Jim March

There's a reason the Gauchos are being blown out cheap. Quality control issues for miles...much worse than the Italians.

I strongly recommend Ruger. If you can afford it, buy through Longhunter, a combo gun dealer and gunsmith who does a nice initial tuneup plus weeds out any "birth defect cases" and ships 'em back to point of origin before any user sees 'em. When you factor in the savings of shipping one to a gunsmith, the low cost of the gunsmithing obtained (and with a very good reputation) and the elimination of lemons, he's a damn good deal:

http://www.longhunt.com/

The single best deal out there though is the CDNN blowouts on the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk in both 357 and 44Mag. The 357 variant is an odd duck: one of only two adjustable-sight Ruger Blackhawks built on the same "mid size" frame as the Ruger New Vaquero and Montado, similar in size/heft to a Colt SAA. The other mid-frame Blackhawk is the new 44Spl variant...$200 more.

The single *coolest* setup would be to take the 50th 357 and have it re-chambered and re-barreled for 45LC, or for major fun make it a 45ACP. Use GI 1911 mags as "speedloaders", thumbing rounds in through the gate :).

My daily carry CCW piece is a New Vaquero in 357...but then again, I've tossed "traditional" on it's butt...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392580

RJM

I have a Vaquero and a New Model Blackhawk in .45 colt and like them, but I enjoy shooting my colt clones much better. I just like the way the trigger, balance, and the 4 click cocking feels when I shoot the guns that resemble a colt more. Not that ruger doesn't make a good gun but their triggers are not the slim trigger that my clones have and the guns don't seem to balance as well as the smaller clones. If you are looking for a more modern single action, the Rugers are a very good choice, but if you are looking for something more authentic and closer to the feel of an old colt peacemaker, then I would say go for a clone.

I have a colt clone made by American Western Arms that is a heck of a good gun, with an awesome trigger. The ruger guns, at least in factory form, have an alright single action trigger (I honestly think that is being a little kind). They don't break like a glass rod, like a single action should. My AWA gun does. I also have a pair of Beretta Stampedes that don't have the firing pin on the hammer, and don't have the slim trigger, but the triggers and guns feel great. Here are a few pictures.

The Berettas:

stampede.jpg

And the AWA:

ama2.jpg

rickyjames

someone said to go to a cass match and look at and feel a large number of guns, barrel lengths manufactures etc....good advice. you can look, touch, feel a variety of guns and barrel lengths to help you decide.

i have 3 uberti revolvers in 45 lc, 2, 4and 5/8" cattlemen and 1, 3 and 1/2" sheriffs model. all are great guns. there is just something about the feel of a saa revolver, it is for me probably the most natural feeling, well balanced and natural pointing gun i own. even the crude sights the accuracy is amazing do to these qualitys. ruger blackhawks are a much diifferent gun with a much different feel to me but the vaquaros are popular with many people. i love my uberti guns tho.

Big Bill

RJM - I have heard that Beretta makes a very nice six gun. Thanks for posting the pictures of yours. I'd love to have a Beretta clone.

zxcvbob

If you can get a .357 Taurus Gaucho for about $200, get it. I don't think I'd go $250 though. You're gonna have to spend a little money on gunsmithing to fix problems that never should have left the factory. I wouldn't trust that gun at all in .45 Colt; the quality is that bad, and there's not enough meat on the cylinder walls to make up for possibly-weak steel.

I wish someone would comment on the previously-mentioned Berettas.