looking to buy a high end 1911, looking for a reccomendation

2002gti

ive been looking at springfield trophy match, colts, kimbers and para's with a budget of no more than $1500 and the les baers seem to be the best value for my dollars. wilsons are are nice but all over $2000, also im in california so not everything is available to me. im looking for something with bomar style sights and checkered front strap also prefferebly something without and internal lock on it. what guns dont have internal locks? tia

CarbineCaleb

A Better 1911 - Smith & Wesson 945 Performance Center

If you want a 1911 in that price range, don't overlook the very similar Smith & Wesson 945 Performance Center. Just a terrific gun. I shot it back to back with the S&W 1911, and there was no comparison in terms of muzzle flip/followup shot controllability - it has a lower bore axis (1/4" lower). It's also beautiful, accurate, has a great trigger, improved extractor, precise fitting smooth operating slide. It's not a "true 1911", but, that's not a bad thing, because in performance terms, it's better :D . Street price is about $1500.

170173_large.jpg

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=407537&item=1207361&sw_activeTab=1

mikikanazawa

I'm in the same dilemma. Relatively limited selection of hanguns in California because the only ones sold here have to be state approved. (For reasons of "safety.")

In that price range I'd give the Kimber Gold Combat a look. I think the only one Cali-certified is the stainless model. Springfield's TRP is Cali-certified, in your price range and usually readily available.

I also considered the Baers (Thunder Ranch and Custom Carry) but they're hard to find and I've read too many mixed reports on them to feel comfortable laying down that kind of coin for a gun that might not run as well as a $750 Kimber.

If you want to venture outside the 1911 realm, Turner's has the USP Expert on sale. H&K is no longer importing them...

2002gti

im leaning away from kimber because of their exposed extractors and springfield for their Internal locking system. i really like 1911's in their original configuration. les baers really seem to be the hands down best bang for the buck, what bad things have been said about them? i would consider a para as their power extractor is concealed but dont see a model with frontstrap checkering.

IanS

I was in a similar situation. I thought about the SA TRP's and LB's but I was pretty lucky to find a nice used SA Professional for the price of a new Les Baer TRS or Premier II. I'm thrilled with the Pro and I couldn't ask for a better 1911. If you put a WTB ad over at www.calguns.net someone might want to part with theirs. Its a long shot and it might cost a little more but why not? With that said, whenever I see someone shooting a LB (usually a TRS or Premier II) at the range I ask them how they like theirs, the first reaction is a huge grin on their face. That speaks volumes about LB's.

I agree, the LB Premier II's and TRS's seem to be about the best choice in that price range for those who don't have the patience for something like a Yost/Bonitz. The great thing about a "true" custom though is the fact you can pick and choose the options. Valtro's are supposed to be great too. But the wait can be 2 years or even more. I called a shop up in No. California about one recently. They told me they had one in stock and its $3200. :eek:

I have read a few problems with the LB Commanche length guns though. But that's why I always try to stick with 5" 1911's.

Once you own a premium 1911 it really is kinda hard to go back to shooting the "regular" ones. It really is. That can be a good and bad thing. :p

Last edited: