Looking for suggestions for a semi auto rifle.

tynman

I am thinking about setting up a semi auto (probably 308 or 7.62) rifle to hit 800 to 1000 yards, and I would like some suggestion on different rifles. I am looking at the springfield m1a but Im not set on it yet. Im not to hot on the AR platform. But I wouldnt mind hearing what is out there in the semi auto world. I do have a bolt action set up for 1000 yard already so that is why I would like to do a semi auto..

Thanks for you suggestions.

Dont forget Im in NJ so I have to be able to buy it here.

crane550

M1 is a good choice. FAL as well. I'm kinda old school when it comes to this sorta stuff. AR10 is also an excellent choice, and can be killer if you build it yourself.

tangolima

Semi auto for 800 to 1000 yard is no joke. Even for quality bolt guns it is not trivial. Most semi autos are not designed to do that sort of jobs.

-TL

1stmar

Garand or m1a, both are ~2 moa guns out of the box (so to speak). You may do a bit better but you may do a bit worse. For 1000 yards, you better have a big target or some custom work done. Both are great guns.

Pond James Pond

I am by no means an expert but the only semi auto in .308 that I've read about claiming to be good for 800m (a little over 800yds) is the HK MR308 and even that was a one-off claim that I've not seen confirmed elsewhere.

My guess is such a gun is a tall and expensive order!!

rkittine

Plenty of M1 Garand National Match grades shoot accurately to 500 yards for the matches like Camp Perry or West Point. Bought one of those when I was in my teens through the NRA program for $40.00. 300 round of free Match Ball ammo a year too, but it is in .30-06 and not .308. And Open Sites!

1,000 yards is a tall order though as others have pointed out.

Bob

SR420

I don't know about an off the shelf M1A, but there are plenty of M14
pattern rifles that are very capable of shooting accurately @ 1000 yards.

I have an M14 EBR that's built for it, but I have not shot it past 500 yet.

1620878_942547082429147_5123970230230241019_n.jpg

One of the best features with this rifle is that it's not an AR10 ;)

Last edited:

tirod

If you have a 1000 yard range within an hours drive, go for it. Otherwise it's really just nice to have. Most ranges are set up for a maximum of 500m and that's usually in more rural areas where the metros haven't spread out to shut them down.

What I don't understand is nobody recommending the AR10 - it doesn't take gunsmithing to accurize or improve, they are readily available, and parts to upgrade, too.

When Great Britain needed a .308 rifle to use in Southwest Asia, they didn't pick the FNFAL (another choice,) they bought US made AR10's. Those were meant to be dedicated long distance shooters.

Might consider that, plus parts are commonly available from vendors who make them in the US.

kraigwy

Gas guns can do it and do it well. When I shot for the guard I used a Model 70 300 WM for any rifle/any sights,-any rifle iron sights, but for service rifle I used M1A/M14s.

My best 1000 yard score was with my M1A.

After retiring from the guard I started shooting for fun, shot server 1000 yard matches with my DCM Garand. Shot some decent score with it.

Also shot some fair scores with an AR in 223.

If I was to recommend a budget 1000 yard gas gun I would suggest a CMP Special Grade M1 Garand in either 308 or '06.

AR 308s will work too, but like you I don't want an AR in 308. Personal preference. Same with a 308 Garand.................just don't seem right. Kind of like a Model 1903 in 243..............just not right.

TMD

Most M1A'a and M14's are 2-3 moa out of the box. Most AR-10's are MOA out of the box for half the cost. No brainer.

tangolima

M1A maybe. M1 garand from cmp? Probably not.

It is a pain to mount scope on m1. Shooting 1000 yd with peep sight just makes the order ever taller. Its design limits its use of hot loads.

It all depends on the type of target though. For man size targets, it is way more difficult than typing some paragraphs on this forum.

-TL

MZ5

An AR-10 is the best bet for high precision. The FNAR _may_ be a decent choice, too, though it's intended for more intermediate ranges. I have the Browning labeled iteration of the FNAR, called the Hog Stalker, and it's a good gun that shoots the ammo it likes very well.

kraigwy

Its design limits its use of hot loads.

True but who cares, over the years I've discovered "hot loads" doesn't relate to accuracy.

Shooting a NRA 1000 yard match with irons is no different then shooting iron sights at 200 yards. The Bull is about the same size setting on top of the from post regardless if its 200, 600 or 1000.

They have little knobs on the rear sight to take care of the distance.

Ceol Mhor

IMO, this is not a practical thing to shop for until you have a bolt gun that you can make satisfactory hits with at 800-1000 yards. And that's not something worth pursuing until you have a bolt gun that you can make consistent good groups with at 500 yards.

An 800+ yard gun is only a small part of the work; you also need to have the shooting skills, range estimating skills (unless you only shoot on known-distance ranges), wind-reading skills, and handloading experience to make that kind of shot. Doing it with a semiauto is far more expensive and complex than doing it with a bolt action, and a semiauto really isn't necessary, it is? How much need is there for that slightly faster followup shot when the target is 1000 yards away?

tynman

Kraigwy Im in NJ and I dont think the garand is allowed.. I think its a BIG NO NO. But I would have to look into it. I know the carbine is defiantly a NO.

tynman

ceol Mhor Its all about fun. I do have a bolt that is set up for 1000 yards. (I havent been able to find anywhere to shoot it at 1000 yards) But its ready for it when I can try. All the other facts you are talking about is to be worried about at the time of shooting. Im no pro or will I ever be a snipper, but I would like to be able to do it for fun..... And to do it with both semi auto and bolt will be even more satisfying. But a semi auto will reload a lot faster then I can reload my bolt.

tangolima

Kraigwy Im in NJ and I dont think the garand is allowed.. I think its a BIG NO NO. But I would have to look into it. I know the carbine is defiantly a NO.
If m1 garand is not allowed, I don't see how you can possibly have a m1a.

I also have a SKS set up for 2,000 meters. Just haven't shot it yet. Difficult to find such a range. It would be quite when I get to do it. Don't know when, but one of these days. [emoji12]

-TL