Looking For Something In .22 LR

Achilles11B

It's time for a pistol in .22LR. Nothing real fancy, but I would like something somewhat nice, even if it is just for plinking. The problem is, me not being a pistol guru, I'm not too sure what the 'gold standard' for .22 LR pistols is. Revolver or semi-auto, I'm open for suggestions. If you know a good place in the St. Louis area or a good website to order from, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

22-rimfire

A lot depends on what you like and your available budget. But I recommend the Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark II/III or Ruger 45/22 in a semi-auto pistol. I have a Mark II which preceeded the Mark III with a 5.5" bull barrel. I really like it and it will last a lifetime for plinking, target shooting, hunting, or walks in the woods. The extra barrel weight makes it balance nicely and because of that, I shoot it better. Handle one and see how it feels.

My preference in a revolver is the 4" S&W Model 617 or the Classic Model 18. I like the 4" barrel for general shooting. Lots of used Model 17's and 18's around in top condition if you want to go used. I have Model 17's and a 18.

I like Colt DA revolvers a lot also. But they have gotten so expensive that I really don't "push" them so much anymore. But one of the best is the 4 or 6" Colt Diamondback or Colt Officers Model Match. These are stictly purchased as "used" guns these days and there is a lot of collector interest which pushes up prices. The 4" Diamondback is my favorite DA 22 revolver.

Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington KY area is one of the best places to order on line and have the gun shipped to your local FFL dealer. Be sure to call the dealer in advance to make sure it's okay with him and to check their transfer fees. Bud's must have a copy of their FFL license to ship to your local dealer. But they have many on file already.

KBP

22 pistol

You have to decide what you will use it for. Many states only allow revolvers for hunting. If you will never want it for hunting, buy a semi-automatic. I like the Browning Buckmarks. If not sure, buy both a revolver and a semi-automatic. Don't just consider new, there are many great used pistols on the market for reasonable prices. Only buy from someone you trust unless you take a gunsmith with you.

Cheapshooter

I'm not too sure what the 'gold standard' for .22 LR pistols is.
Revolver = Smith & Wesson 617 Around here, $750-$800
Semi-auto = Smith & Wesson Model 41 $1000+
Much more affordable guns are available From Ruger, and Browning that are quite well made.
In a revolver though, it's going to be a single action.
Any of several of the Ruger MK series, or the Browning Buckmark pistols are well made, accurate semi-autos.

Buzzcook

Cheapshooter has it right.

Although I'd expand the revolvers to include the whole S&W .22 Masterpiece family.

pilpens

Best bang for the buck in .22 handguns: Ruger MKII/MKIII, and Browning buckmark.
1. will shoot cheap ammo well and shoot good ammo better.
2. not ammo sensitive.
I go back and forth between the two on which is better - just depends on how the wind blows. Right now, I am on a browning phase.

barrel choice -- 5.5 or 7 inch barrel. I like the 7 more.

RichC

S&W 41 is a great handgun... truly great.

But i also enjoy shooting High Standard pistols, made in Hamden CT only. When manufacturing moved to East Hartford they went down hill. The High Standard is less expensive, but deadly accurate and fun to shoot.

gearhounds

Ruger family; I have a MKII that started out as a 10" bull barrel, but had it professionally resized to 6". A 2.5 power scope on a B-Square mount makes it a serious tack driver when I want, and open sights for plinking/skill retention. Love it!

aarondhgraham

Five most common .22 semi-auto pistols,,,

These are the 5 most common .22 pistols out there,,,
Any one of these 5 will give you years of excellent performance.

I've not listed them in any order of preference.

Browning Buckmark = Great pistol but I found the grip to be funky.
Ruger 22/45 Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a 1911-ish grip
Ruger Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a luger-ish grip.
Beretta U22 NEOS = Great pistol with a very slender grip.
S&W 22A = Great pistol with a very fat grip.

Any of these will serve you very well,,,
They are all reliable firearms that aren't ammo picky,,,
Rather than sweat over which one is better get the one that fits your hand.

Then there are the high-end (high dollar) models,,,
CZ-75B Kadet - With the exception of the Kadet having adjustable rear sights, it is virtually identical to the CZ-75B in 9mm.
Sig-Sauer Classic .22 - There are 3 models in different calibers. They start as a full frame .22 semi-auto that are convertible to their centerfire counterpart.
Beretta 87 - The .22 counterpart to the Beretta 84/85 in .380 ACP.

I own the Beretta NEOS, the Ruger 22/45, and the CZ-75B Kadet,,,
All reliable shooters that aren't ammo picky (for me) at all.

I hope this helps,,,

Aarond

Unless I missed it, so far nobody has mentioned the Ruger Single Six, and IMHO that's probably hands down the most popular. I'd bet a coffee AND a donut there are more Single Sixes out there than there are Mark IIs and Mark IIIs, even including the 22/45 variants.

YARDDOG(1)

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

"[so far nobody has mentioned the Ruger Single Six, and IMHO that's probably hands down the most popular.]" ;)

Agree 100% And it'll Last a couple of life times ; )
Y/D

Cheapshooter

BTW Achilles11B, there are ranges in your area that rent guns at a reasonable price. You can try as many as you want for an hourly fee. I don't know if they would have a S&W 41, but maybe. They should have most others that have been mentioned.
If you could tell us a little more about what your expectations in a firearm are, and what type of shooting you will be doing we can help narow the choices to fit your needs.
(PM sent on local shops, ranges, and shows)

BigJimP

Depends on what you want ....

But in terms of revolvers .... a S&W model 18 or a 617 are pretty hard to beat - in 4" or 6" barrels primarily. You should find a lot of good ones around for $ 500 - $ 900...

In semi-autos ....Browning Buckmark gives you a lot of gun for the money. They have about 15 models from $ 350 - $ 600. The Ruger is popular as well ...and a little cheaper than the Browning ....but personally, I think the Browning is a better long term gun.

The gold standard on .22's --- are the S&W model 41's / the older High Standard models / Browning Challengers / Hammerli's etc ....but most all of those guns are more for "bulls eye" shooters - and for the most part are at least in the $1,000 - $ 2,000 price ranges.

CLC

My vote is for the single six as well! Also you could shoot .22 mag :D best of both worlds.

Achilles11B

Thank you all for the help, I have a lot of homework to do now in terms of research.

I'm leaning towards something in a semi-auto to improve my pistol marksmanship. I have a Springfield XD in 9mm, and while 9mm is relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things, .22 can be had much, much cheaper. I'd like to be able to get some good training in without going broke in the process. If possible, I'd like to get something that, mechanically, comes as close to a striker-fired centerfire pistol as possible, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if that cannot be had.

Cheapshooter, I can think of two ranges offhand that have rentals, and one of them is pretty close by. It's a common suggestion that I mention to friends when they talk about a pistol purchase, yet it completely slipped my mind. Thanks again to you and to the rest of you guys for the suggestions.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

You might prefer the Ruger 45/22 due to the grip angle. Do get the heavy barrel version. Something around 5" works really well.

Ruger Single Six, and IMHO that's probably hands down the most popular.

Perhaps?? Everyone has their preferences. But I find shooting single action 22 revolvers kind of boring. They are fun at first, and then I tire of them. It just takes too much effort to load and unload them with the tiny cartridges. With the larger calibers, single actions are fine since I normally don't do a lot of plinking with centerfire handguns.

TennJed

Get a GSG 1911 in .22lr.....runs a little over $300....the reason you should is because that is the next .22lr I plan on getting and I want you to tell me how ya like it:)

logo.png