looking for shooting bench plans

Rifleman1776

My old shooting bench is a cobbled together thing that is now falling apart.
I want something both portable and light. Can someone lead me to plans for one that is fairly easy to build?

PawPaw

Google is your friend. There are lots of plans available, depending on what your particular needs might be.

Rifleman1776

Thanks, I'll Google.
Yes, I am puzzled also by the move but I don't argue with moderators.
My question had nothing to do with reloading ammunition. It is a shooting question.

hk33ka1

I cut a piece of plywood to a rough T shape so I could shoot right or left off it and added a set of folding table legs from home depot on a short piece of 2x4 at each end for rigidity. Built my own stool to sit on too.

Rifleman1776

Yes, DD, I found that also.
However, I believe 1" treated plywood would be much sturdier. My current bench is 3/4" wood and it is quite flexy and not sturdy.
Unfortunately, this is not an inexpensive project. The pipe is almost $10.00 each, the flanges are about $3.00 each and I will use one at each end to prevent sinking into the ground. Plywood, especially 1" treated costs like gold.

DogoDon

Really Rifleman? You have a 3/4-inch plywood bench top and it flexes too much? That's kind of hard to believe. I would guess that a 3/4-in. exterior grade plywood top would be plenty sturdy, if properly supported by a good rigid leg structure. How much weight are you putting on it? I weigh only about 175, so for me I think a 3/4-in. top would be adequate.

Yeah, I soon realized when I started pricing the pipe for the legs and the pipe flanges that it's not a really cheap project. I was trying to think of less-expensive alternatives for the legs that would still be rigid enough, but I haven't had any brilliant ideas.

Where did you find the pipe flanges for $3? The ones I was looking at were more like $10.

DD

Horseman

Pipe and flanges for my project came from Menards. Don't remember how much it's been 5 years since I built mine but it wasn't expensive. I built 3 of them out of 3/4" OSB. Mine are L shaped and very strong. No flexing and set up quickly for prairie dogs.

Rifleman1776

My current bench is too large giving a large area to be flexed. The wood legs are poorly fixed to the sides and ends.
I found the flanges at Lowe's for that price.

wncchester

A good shooting bench that's portable and light? Mutually exclusive terms; a light bench will bounce each time your heart beats.