Looking for Revolver Suggestion for Wife

rdtompki

My wife have currently have four semi-auto handguns, 2 M&P 22, M&P 9mm and M&P .40. Wife really likes her M&P 22, but due to a left hand injury she may not be able to operate the slide on the 9mm. Were not done working this issue, but I'm looking for revolver suggestions as a possible next step.

We're relatively new to handguns and only have experience with the semi-autos. Guns are for range and HD, no CCW, but we have shotguns at home as well. We're in California, but I'll shop used if I have to for the right revolver.

Recoil-wise something on the order of 9mm (.38 special?) and a long enough barrel to provide positive feedback at a range.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If there are no children involved, there is no reason not to leave the M&P 9 loaded so that she will not have to retract the slide in order to use it. Also, has she tried a revolver like the S&W Model 10 to see if her shooting hand is strong enough to operate the double action?

It seems to me that a Model 10 (or equivalent Ruger) with about 4" barrel would be a good choice, but I strongly urge her to try as many guns as possible, either in a store or at a rental range, before deciding.

Jim

DannyB1954

I have and like the Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum. I never shoot 357's in it, but rather 38Spl. What I like about it is that it is just slightly larger than a J frame smith, and it is a bit heavier also so recoil with it is very mild.
If the wife's wrists are tender this might be a big help. It comes with a heavy trigger spring, (probably for liability reasons), I replaced the spring with a 10 lb. It took 10 minutes to do, (easy).

Micahweeks

You'll avoid the slide problem with a revolver for sure, but revolvers do have heavier triggers on average than a semi-auto. You'd probably want to make sure she can operate the trigger on revolver well before investing in one. If you can find one, let her handle a GP100 TALO edition. It's a 3" .357 that comes from the factory with some trigger work done to it. It's quite smooth and pretty light right out of the box. The SP101 can have a very nice trigger as well, but mine are still heavier than the GP100's.

I had a S&W 686 years ago that had a very smooth trigger (because I shot the snot out of it over a decade). It was smooth as butter after getting a lot of trigger time with it. But, when it was new it was just as heavy as the GP100's I have now. Still, it was a great gun, and I regret selling it. Just make sure she can operate the trigger well, first. As long as that is not an issue, you have a lot of options.

rdtompki

Thanks for all the timely responses.

We haven't given up on the semi-auto. Wife might be ok with keeping the handgun chambered in a holster bedside, but her left-hand issue might make it difficult to deal with FTE/FTF. We're going to try a thin glove on her left hand at the range, but this doesn't help in the middle of the night. OTOH, she could keep her Remington 20 ga. bedside. I'm retired so no longer travel; I'm right next to her virtually every night.

Coincidentally, the S&W Model 10 is on the CA roster until September so we'll also look around to see if one of the ranges has one to try. The problem is specific to her left hand, but understand the greater trigger pull required. The handgun situation in CA is disgusting and used handgun prices are apparently very high; we're very happy with the M&Ps (she really likes her 22), but the roster situation doesn't make for the most careful buying experience

Grant D

Smith & Wesson Model 60 357 cal. with 3" barrel, also has adjustable rear sight.
Would work well with 38"s for practice.

DannyB1954

We haven't given up on the semi-auto

Not all Semi auto's are hard to rack, even in the larger calibers. Maybe look for a model that racks easy. Also maybe something can be attached to the slide so that it can be racked by pressing it against anything that is handy, (like a night stand, or even her left arm). I seen a red dot sight that was used in such a manor. Sorry that I could not find the video that I seen, but here are some other examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WqTJKzo52Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCJdvSgkSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhVnKrj2L0

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

S&W Model 67

Smith & Wesson Model 67. It's a 38 Special. Like the one I bought just last month. Here's a pic of it from my post: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543668

It's a good choice. 6-shot. Not too small. Not too big. It's a "K" frame; so it will recoil less than a 5-shot "J" frame snubbie. It's bigger than a typical conceal carry revolver, but it's not burly like the "L" frame 686 (357 Mag) either.

It has a 4" barrel, which is just right. It has a good sight radius so it's accurate and fun to shoot. And it will do the job in a HD role.

Always-Vigilant

Smith and Wesson 60

I just purchased Smith & Wesson 60 - 14. Not easy to find. Much less felt recoil than an Airweight. Very accurate as well. I also have a CT on mine. My wife loves to shoot it as well. Not cheap but well worth the cost IMO.

tomrkba

What is her level of training? Has she attended any two day defensive handgun courses?

Training is your answer unless the injury is severe and/or permanent. The slide can be run off a belt, pocket, knee, shoe or the corner of an object. A large rear sight with vertical front (muzzle side), along with some skateboard tape, facilitates operating the gun in this way.

Revolvers require more training with a REVOLVER instructor to operate at speed in a defensive context. I am not talking about opening the cylinder, dropping in six rounds, and shooting a non-moving target from a shooting booth. Rapid fire is an important defensive skill that requires more training with a good instructor. She will need to spend a considerable amount of time learning to reload the revolver (is her hand up to it?). If she cannot do Ayoob's reload, then get a gun that holds as many rounds as possible and run the gun one handed. I guarantee you that a one handed revolver reload is far slower than one with a semi-auto.

Updating a revolver with modern features is expensive. The Ruger GP100 Match Champion incorporates everything you need out of the box except night sights (Mepros are $90 and you can install them yourself). A few S&W revolvers come with chamferred charge holes, night sights and a decent trigger.

Avoid snubby revolvers for learning. They are too hard to deal with and she is likely to become frustrated.

Last edited:

nc-oldfart

If your wife can hold a pistol in her left hand maybe she can then rack as a south paw. Pistol push's in to the web of her hand instead of grabbing it tightly and racking it with the left hand.

Even with a revolver she has to flip the cylinder out and hold and control the revolver while she reloads strong hand.

44 AMP

Staff
Study the revolver check out sticky in this forum, and then go look for a good used S&W K frame .38 Special with the barrel length you want.
(don't overlook .357s, there's no reason you have to shoot .357 in them, it just gives you more options)

Your wife knows how to shoot, and for what you describe, you don't need a competitor's gun, or any special modifications. Used guns in good condition are fine, and a good value for most things.

I'm not saying don't buy new, just don't overlook used.

Look for the Cornered Cat site, run by one of TFL's long time members, a nice lady, who has some very good advice, I'm sure you will find something of value there.

Good Luck!

Waspinator

I'll second the Ruger SP101 already mentioned above. I own one and it is my favorite firearm to date. Everyone told me snubbies are Expert guns" and they are hard to shoot... but I shoot my SP101 the best out of everything.

lee n. field

Recoil-wise something on the order of 9mm (.38 special?) and a long enough barrel to provide positive feedback at a range.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Guns are for range and HD, no CCW

You basic 4" K-frame S&W .38 or .357 would do nicely. I note that they're making the Model 66 again.

Ruger makes an .357 SP101 with a 4" barrel now, which would be a nice alternative.

(don't overlook .357s, there's no reason you have to shoot .357 in them, it just gives you more options)

rdtompki, in case you're unaware, .357 Magnum is basically a lengthened .38 Special. .38 Special can be used in any .357 revolver. (The reverse is not the case.)

skidder

My wife has used her 2.25" SP since 1995 and she has had no issues. With a Wolff Spring kit the DA pull sits at 8 pounds. It knocked off 4 pounds with reliable strikes every time. The worst decision I ever made with that SP was waiting as long as i did to buy a $14 spring kit. When you remove 4 pounds off the trigger pull you cover over a multitude of sins. You increase the smoothness and accuracy, but at the same time eliminate fatigue. The only problem is you will find a shortage of SPs when you both want to grab the same gun out the door.;)

Here is OUR 1995 SP.

LeftSP.jpg

Last edited: